LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

marinasofia
|
The question I have is regarding #11 from PrepTest 72 (June 2014), section 2 LR about businesses who frequently use customer surveys.

I selected answer choice E that some businesses included in the study did not analyze the results of the customer surveys. I thought this would be correct because not analyzing the surveys could lead to not addressing a significant problem which could lead to a decline in profits.

The correct answer was C, that most businesses of the kind included in the study generally administer customer surveys only as a response to complaints by customers. I don't see how this would cause a business's profits to decline. If a customer complains, they likely have already bought the product, meaning the sale would have still been made and profit made. So how would surveys administered to unsatisfied customers lead to a decline in profit?

On a side note - can "however" be a conclusion indicator?

Thanks for the help!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
marinasofia wrote:The question I have is regarding #11 from PrepTest 72 (June 2014), section 2 LR about businesses who frequently use customer surveys.

I selected answer choice E that some businesses included in the study did not analyze the results of the customer surveys. I thought this would be correct because not analyzing the surveys could lead to not addressing a significant problem which could lead to a decline in profits.

The correct answer was C, that most businesses of the kind included in the study generally administer customer surveys only as a response to complaints by customers. I don't see how this would cause a business's profits to decline. If a customer complains, they likely have already bought the product, meaning the sale would have still been made and profit made. So how would surveys administered to unsatisfied customers lead to a decline in profit?

On a side note - can "however" be a conclusion indicator?

Thanks for the help!
Hi Marina!

I have moved your post to the thread discussing this topic. Please review the previous discussion, particularly the official explanation here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=482&t=10646, and let us know if that helps!

BTW we have our forum already separated by practice test, and section/question number, so you can easily find explanations like these! Let me know if you need help navigating to a particular test! :)

Thanks!
 HarryThomas
|
Hi Micah,

Thank you for your question.

Answer choice C is the correct answer because it addresses the paradox by explaining how businesses that use surveys may still have lower profits compared to their competitors. It suggests that surveys are typically used by businesses that have received complaints, which could explain why they still experience lower profits despite using surveys. This answer choice provides a possible reason for the conflicting information.

On the other hand, answer choice A does not provide any information about why a specific company experiences profit growth. It only focuses on the profit side of the paradox, making it an incomplete explanation.

Answer choice D implies that surveys might be useless, but it fails to offer an alternative explanation for why companies that use surveys consistently have lower profits compared to their competitors.

I hope this clarifies things for you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.