LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

The author of this stimulus recommends a different practice for awarding the Pritzker Prize, which is the top prize in the field of architecture. This prize rewards individual achievement, like a Nobel Prize for science. But the author tells us that buildings are less like scientific discoveries than like movies: they are not individual achievements but rather the result of teamwork. And, unlike a Nobel Prize for an individual achievement in science, movies compete for awards for best picture. Accordingly, the author concludes that rather than being awarded to the best architect, architecture’s top prize should be awarded to the best building.

This is a Method of Reasoning question. Our task is to select the answer choice that best describes how the author reached the conclusion. In this case, the author compared the practice of awarding a top prize in architecture to that of awarding a top prize in science and in film. Since the author concluded that a building is more like a movie than a scientific discovery, the conclusion was that architecture’s top prize should be awarded like that of the film industry rather than that of the scientific field. Our prephrase is that the correct answer choice will describe the author’s comparison of how awards for excellence are determined in different fields, and the conclusion that a certain field’s award should be determined as in one field rather than another.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, and it closely tracks the prephrase. The “way something should be done in one field” refers to the way in which architecture’s top prize should be awarded. And the “corresponding practices in other fields” refers to the way in which top prizes are awarded in the fields of science and film.

Answer choice (B): The argument in the stimulus did not reach a conclusion about the comparative, inherent value of objects, but rather which process for rewarding excellence is more appropriate.

Answer choice (C): While it is true that the argument did point to similarities between two practices, the conclusion had nothing to do with the application of criticism.

Answer choice (D): Here, the argument’s conclusion did not result from the determination that two different fields are disanalogous, or dissimilar. Rather, the conclusion resulted from the idea that the creation of a building and the creation of a film are similar in some way.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is incorrect because the argument did not conclude that something was inappropriate. Rather, the conclusion was that one practice was better than another.
 Khodi7531
|
Would D be right if instead of saying "different fields" it says, "different achievements"?

I was between A and D but because the stimulus says, "buildings are not like (blank) but like (blank)... that it's saying they're disanalogous in this way and so reaches the conclusion like that.

Buildings are the result of teamwork and architects are not...isn't that being disanalogous?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'd say that alteration to answer D would make that answer half right, khodi. While this author did argue that buildings are not like scientific achievements, he also argued further that they ARE like movies. Answer D, even altered as you suggest, would be insufficient because it wouldn't capture the "not like this BUT like that" aspect of the structure. Answer A would thus still be the best answer because it captures BOTH comparisons made by this author instead of just the disanalogous one.
 MrMola
|
Greetings! I chose D because I incorrectly chose the last sentence as the conclusion. Is there a more surefire way to capture a conclusion other than going off of the word "thus"?
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy Friday, MrMola!

This is an excellent question, and I'm fairly positive I can say without hyperbole that the ability to properly find conclusions is the most important skill in Logical Reasoning.

The vast majority of questions in LR are argument based, and the answers often require us to not only find the main conclusion, but also take several subsequent steps such as identifying the relevant premises, spotting a flaw, etc.

That means that finding the main conclusion is step one out of potentially several steps, so we must make sure that we are building methods on top of perfectly solid foundations.

Here is a list of common conclusion identifying methods that I have discovered over my fifteen years of working as an LSAT tutor. Whoa that's weird to actually type out, seriously, who the hell lets time move so fast?!

Anyhoo, here goes:

1) Conclusion Key Words

The easiest method in finding conclusions is fortunately the most obvious! There are a large group of words whose inclusion indicates the introduction to the following claim as a conclusion. The following list includes a large number of the usual suspects, but I won't claim to say it's exhaustive: thus, therefore, hence, so, consequently, as a result, in fact, clearly, establishes that, proves that, it follows that, consequently, etc

2) Premise* Key Words

This one maybe surprising at first, and that asterisk is definitely intentional. What I mean here, is that the presence of premise key words in certain portions of a sentence can be very indicative that the entire sentence contains not only that premise, but also the conclusion that it supports.

To further stress this point, let's dive deeper into the difference between the logical structure of an argument and the English language it's presented in.

In English, the unit of measurement is a sentence. Starts with a capitalized letter, ends in a period, no real shockers here. However, the unit of measurement in Logic is not a sentence but a proposition/statement, of which many can possibly be found in a single sentence.

For example, take this sentence: Because LeBron James left the Cavaliers, it will be a long time before the team makes it back to the NBA finals.

What I'm trying to get you to believe is the statement in the latter half of the sentence, and the reasons I offer for why you should believe me are found in the first half.

Another one: Our corporation is not hosting a conference this year, since our revenue has dropped so significantly.

Here, I want you to believe the first half of the sentence, and the second half offers support as to why you should.

What these two examples have in common are that they both contain premise AND conclusion in a single sentence, and the conclusion was able to be spotted by the use of the indicating term that introduced the premise.

So, if you see any of the following words in the beginning of a proposition, either the beginning of the sentence or directly after the major, divisive comma, you can detect which half of the sentence contains the premise and which contains the conclusion.

Words that function this way: since, because, as, for.

Since........... ,________________________

__________________, because........

In each example above, the "__________" portion signifies the segment of the sentence that makes up the conclusion.

One other premise indicating term that is useful in spotting conclusions is the phrase "after all," which has a habit of showing up directly after the conclusion. It's as if I'm giving you my big idea, then after all, here's why you should believe me:

Cargo pants will be making a prominent reintroduction to mainstream fashion next year. After all, the upcoming zombie apocalypse calls for citizens to be constantly in possession of a large number of weapons and other supplies.

(Okay fine, you caught me. I re-watched Shaun of the Dead last night for the first time in years and I'm just thinking ahead!)

3) Author's attitude/tone/structure

This one is a bit more ambiguous, but not less important as a conclusion spotter. Often, an argument's main conclusion can be spotted by a seemingly subtle statement given by the author in response to another viewpoint mentioned in the passage. This often includes a use of one of the following terms to help diverge perspectives from the opponent back to the author:

but, yet, however, although, etc

For example:

It's been claimed that Philadelphia sports fans are nothing but civil and respectful individuals. However, this is clearly mistaken, as the massive amounts of damage done to public property done by the city's fans after the Eagles won the Super Bowl in early 2018.

The author's conclusion here would be, directly from the text, "this is clearly mistaken," though of course, the answer choice to a Main Point question would likely no be in such a brief format. Rather, we would need to take this insertion of the author's perspective and use it to summarize their position against the earlier opinion. A sample answer that would more likely show up as an answer to a Main Point question would be: "The claim that Philadelphia sports fans are civil and respectful individuals is clearly mistaken, as shown by recent events." Zombie apocalypse, championship celebrations in Philly, po-ta-to/po-tah-to amirite?? ;)

These three methods may not be the end-all, be-all list of conclusion finders, but they cover a massive amount of the conclusions offered on the exam.

One last point I'd like to tag on to this (absurdly long, but well-intentioned!) post, is that finding a conclusion is not always equivalent to finding the main conclusion in an argument. Often, and especially often in the case of a Main Point or Argument Part question, the stimulus contains not only at least one premise and a main conclusion, but also one or several middle-ground conclusions, often referred to as subsidiary or intermediate/intermediary conclusions.

I find that in those two question types in particular, I am extra wary of an argument containing a thus/therefore/hence version of an obvious conclusion in the last sentence as being the main conclusion. Often, those claims, which are rightfully conclusions by definition, are used to support a larger point made earlier in the stimulus, often one indicated more subtly with the use of step 3 listed above.

I hope this massive tome of a reply can provide use to you and any other students struggling with this extremely important concept!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.