LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (E).

The author argues that jury nullification often leads to serious mistakes due to jurors relying on their perceptions of fairness rather than an objective application of the law to the facts. This is presented as a counter-argument against the position, presented in the second sentence, that jury nullification is legitimate because it helps shield against injustice. We are asked to describe the technique used by the author to support their position - a Method of Reasoning question, in which we must focus not on what the author said, but on how they built their argument.

This author's strategy could be described as "pointing out a problem that the opposition may not have considered." The problem is the high incidence of serious mistakes. Use this idea of "pointing out a problem" to sort losers and contenders.

Answer choice (A): The motives or those who support jury nullification were never made an issue in this argument, only results of the practice itself.

Answer choice (B): When we see the word "inconsistency" in an answer, it means that two statements were made that cannot both be true at the same time. Either two premises were in conflict, or a premise and a conclusion were. Our author never indicated that if the other side believes one thing, they cannot also believe the other, and so no inconsistency was at issue.

Answer choice (C): A very attractive answer choice! It does seem as if the author is saying that the proponents' claim that jury nullification helps shield against injustice is false, but only if you assume that "serious mistakes" means no shield is raised against injustice. Ultimately this answer will prove to be incorrect because while the author's position does seem to weaken this opposing claim, it does not appear that the author was trying to prove that it was completely false. Rather, the author is suggesting that the serious mistakes outweigh any benefits claimed by the proponents. Perhaps jury nullification does sometime help shield against injustice, perhaps in those few cases where they don't make serious mistakes? It would be entirely reasonable to keep this as a contender until something better comes along that matches our prephrase more closely.

Answer choice (D): No counter-example is presented in the stimulus. Whenever you see the words "example" or "counterexample", they must be referring to a specific instance of the thing being discussed. In this stimulus, that might be to name a particular trial in which jury nullification was based on or led to serious mistakes. Examples name specific cases, and in the absence of such specifics an answer like this one must be rejected.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. Here we have something akin to "pointing out a problem," which is a good match for our prephrase and a better choice than answer C, attractive as that one may have been. The author's concern about "serious mistakes" is accurately described as "undesirable consequences."
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,
I'm not sure about D and E...
What is purported counterexample?
About E, I was not sure about the part "has".
The stimulus says "too often" not "always" right?

Thanks
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mokkyukkyu,

Thanks for your question. The author argues that the doctrine of jury nullification relies excessively on jurors' objectivity. The last sentence provides support for this position: when juries can acquit on the basis of perceived unfairness, they can make mistakes. This risk can properly be described as an "undesirable consequence" of the doctrine's application, which is consistent with answer choice (E).

As far as answer choice (D) is concerned, the author presents no counterexample to the claims made by the doctrine's proponents. A counterexample is an example which disproves a proposition. For example, the prime number 2 is a counterexample to the statement "All prime numbers are odd." To provide a counterexample in this context, the author should have cited a case in which the jury caused damage or injustice by acquitting a defendant who allegedly violated an unjust law. No such counterexample was provided.

Hope this clears it up! :)

Thanks,
 Rita
|
Hi Nikki,

Could you please explain why C is wrong? I thought the argument attempted to falsify the premise put forth by proponents of jury nullification that it "shields against injustice". Since the author argues that jury nullification occurs when the jury believes a law to be unjust, and that the jury too often makes mistakes, I thought the argument was disproving that premise.

Thanks,
Rita
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Rita, your confusion is understandable here. Let me see if I can clarify.

Falsifying a premise, or denying a premise, is saying that that premise is untrue. Let's look at the premise advanced by the supporters of jury nullification (because they have only one premise - the first sentence is not a premise but just a definition to provide context for the argument).

The one premise the proponents have, that we know about, is that the practice helps shield against injustice. That is the sole basis for their conclusion that the practice is legitimate. Does our author attempt to prove that to be false? Do we get evidence that the practice does not help do that? Not exactly. Instead, we get the new info that sometimes (often) juries make mistakes. They allow for the possibility that it could help, sometimes, but that most of the time there are those undesirable consequences that answer E talks about.

So, the premise isn't disproved, but rather it is supplemented (and weakened) by additional information about problems that can occur despite the truth of that premise.

Showing that a premise is false means showing it is completely false. Here, that would be showing that jury nullification NEVER helps shield against injustice, maybe even that it ALWAYS impedes that result. That's too strong for what our author did.

I hope that clears things up somewhat for you!
 Rita
|
Yes that's really helpful, thanks Adam!
 Etsevdos
|
How about B? Inconsistency being in the assumption:

Proponents argue shields against injustice
They just assume that objective
Our author believes they cannot possible be objective
Therefore, this assumption (and as such the reasoning) is (not accurate and therefore inconsistent )
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi etsevdos,

I don't think that our author goes so far as to say that jurors cannot possible be objective, rather that the doctrine relies on their objectivity too much. That's why I don't think that Answer (B) rises to actual "inconsistency." Let me know if that makes sense and thanks for the great question.
 swong1267
|
For D, is the wording in the stimulus too broad for a counterexample? i.e. more of a principle than a concrete counterexample?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I don't think I can answer your question better than Nikki did, above:
As far as answer choice (D) is concerned, the author presents no counterexample to the claims made by the doctrine's proponents. A counterexample is an example which disproves a proposition. For example, the prime number 2 is a counterexample to the statement "All prime numbers are odd." To provide a counterexample in this context, the author should have cited a case in which the jury caused damage or injustice by acquitting a defendant who allegedly violated an unjust law. No such counterexample was provided.
What stimulus wording are you referring to that you thought might be a counterexample? It isn't that the wording is too broad or too specific. I can state a very specific principle that is still not an example. To restate what Nikki explained, a counterexample is a specific instance that illustrates a claim or principle.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.