LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's correct, silver2731, and you're describing what we call the "Mechanistic" approach to Justify the Conclusion questions, which is a powerful tool for prephrasing the correct answer. There is a gap between national professional organizations holding conventions and there being large conventions, so to close that gap and complete the logical chain we need an answer that links those two ideas. Only answer E does that. Well done!
 chickfu
|
I identified the correct answer in this question; however, I incorrectly diagrammed the conclusion as:

tax revenues increase :arrow: convention centre built.

There seems to be no conditional language indicators in the conclusion which is I think what tripped me up. How can I be sure to diagram the conclusion correctly in the future?
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi chickfu, thank you for your question!

The best way to ensure you diagram statements without specific indicators correctly in the future is to conceptually understand what sufficient and necessary conditions truly are.

Of course, that's easier said than done! In order to help you, here are a few wonderful resources you can review:

For this specific question, you can also consider how the relationship between taxes and the convention centers is described. In the last sentence, we read that building the convention centers will increase the tax revenues. Let's try thinking about the logical relationship between these two things. If we increase tax revenues, does that mean we built the convention center? No, there could be other reasons why the revenues increased! But, if we build the convention center, do we know for certain there will be an increase in tax revenues? Yes, the last sentence tells us that! With this understanding, you can properly diagram the last sentence (do note, though, that the word 'will' by itself is not necessarily an indicator).

I hope this helps :)
Kate
 chickfu
|
katehos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:28 pm Hi chickfu, thank you for your question!

The best way to ensure you diagram statements without specific indicators correctly in the future is to conceptually understand what sufficient and necessary conditions truly are.

Of course, that's easier said than done! In order to help you, here are a few wonderful resources you can review:

For this specific question, you can also consider how the relationship between taxes and the convention centers is described. In the last sentence, we read that building the convention centers will increase the tax revenues. Let's try thinking about the logical relationship between these two things. If we increase tax revenues, does that mean we built the convention center? No, there could be other reasons why the revenues increased! But, if we build the convention center, do we know for certain there will be an increase in tax revenues? Yes, the last sentence tells us that! With this understanding, you can properly diagram the last sentence (do note, though, that the word 'will' by itself is not necessarily an indicator).

I hope this helps :)
Kate
Thank you for the resources Kate. Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.