LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #4: Must Be True, #%. The correct answer choice is (D)

For the first time in this section we’re presented not with an argument, but with a fact set: (1) spleen size is generally a good indicator of bird health, with smaller spleens indicating sickliness; (2) on the whole, birds killed by predators tend to have substantially smaller spleens than birds “killed accidentally” (whatever that may mean).

The obvious conclusion to draw from this then is that birds killed by predators tend to be less healthy than birds killed accidentally.

Note my use of the phrase “tend to be,” which intentionally parallels the author’s toned-down “generally” and “in general.” This type of language softening is vital to recognize in LR stimuli, as it constrains the nature/strength of the correct answer. In short, you can only prove ideas to a degree of certainty allowed by their supporting information, so premises caged in mere likelihood cannot be used to determine anything with certainty.

Answer choice (A): is far too strong. Remember, this is about what is typical, or what generally occurs. Saying that healthy birds are never killed by predators goes well beyond the supporting information in this stimulus.

Answer choice (B): Be careful with the initial language: we don’t know that the majority of small-spleened birds are killed by predators, but rather that of those birds killed spleen size tends to be smaller. It could still be a tiny fraction of the overall total of birds with small spleens that are killed (that is, the vast majority may escape predation).

Answer choice (C): This answer presents entirely new information, requiring a rather large assumption on the part of a test taker. Sickness may play a role in predation rates (in fact it seems to), but that doesn’t support the claim that predators can “sense” sickness.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. Once again, our prediction serves us well. Birds with smaller spleens tend to be sicklier than other birds, and birds with smaller spleens tend to be killed by predators more often than are other birds. Conclusion? Sickly birds are more likely than healthy birds to be killed by predators.

Pay particular attention to the language used, with the phrase “more likely than” mirroring the nature of the language in the stimulus (“generally”).

Answer choice (E): Attempting to determine causality from the relationship described is a mistake, since we can’t know the cause behind either the reduced spleen size or poor health. It could be that a smaller spleen causes sickness, or it could be that sickness causes a smaller spleen, or it could be a third element that causes both the smaller spleen and the sickliness.
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,

So for some reason I treated this as conditional question...
So I thought

Premise: (stimulus)
A (sickly birds) :most: smaller spleens
killed by predators :most: smaller spleens

Conclusion: (answer choice) (D)
Sickly birds :most: killed by predators

Assumption
killed by predators :most: sickly birds

....I was confused.
I should not use conditional signals for "generally" or "likely" sentences? :-?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mokkyukkyu,

Remember - conditional reasoning is part of formal, deductive logic, and as such deals with absolutes only. Propositions such as "tends to", "usually", etc. can technically be represented using the :most: relationship, but I'd only resort to such diagramming if I feel like I cannot understand the argument any other way. Here, we didn't think a formal diagram was pedagogically necessary or even useful.

For more information on the dangers of diagramming, check out the following Blog posts:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/333 ... To-Diagram
http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/288 ... Everywhere

Thanks,
 mkarimi73
|
How does "birds killed accidentally" all of the sudden become "other birds"? I am referring to your explanation for answer choice (D). Thanks!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There are two categories here: the type of killing (whether by predators or not), and whether one is sick or not. Here, the common feature of sickliness is a small spleen, and the common feature of being killed by a predator is a small spleen. The connection between these two categories therefore is found by the common feature: small spleen. Now, "other" refers to the "other" side of the category killed by predator. You are killed by a predator or not (killed accidentally). This is because the link we need is found in being killed by a predator, so that the other side becomes irrelevant for the purposes of the comparison of the two categories.

Hopefully that makes sense, and if not, let me or one of the others (intended) know!
 mkarimi73
|
Thank you for the explanation. I came back to this question today after stepping away from it for several days. Essentially, (D) is the most strongly supported answer choice given the language of the stimulus. The other four answer choices have their own issues, whether that regard strength of wording, causality, scope of stimulus, etc. What I took issue with was the credited answer choice by the test-makers. The pre-phrase provided by the Administrator makes total sense, and that should have been an answer choice. (But I have to remind myself that this is the LSAT, and they don't make it easy.) It seems that the credited answer was making a slight assumption, where "birds killed accidentally" encompasses "healthy birds" as well. Now I have a better sense on what the test-makers are trying to teach us! Sometimes you have to just rely on process of elimination and not dwell on whether you like the answer choice.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's an important lesson to learn, mkarimi73! Overthinking things, and getting picky about the answers to the point that we talk ourselves out of the best options on the grounds that they aren't good enough for our personal standards, is a common problem, especially for high performers. It's the sort of thing that keeps many students stuck in the 160s and unable to break through to the top tier, and so it must be acknowledged and overcome. Good on you for making that realization! Onward and upward!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.