LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #8: Main Point. The correct answer choice is (C)

The beauty of Main Point questions is that if you’re reading the stimulus with the proper focus—that is, with an eye to argumentation and its structure—you will have answered the question before you’re even told what the question is. If a conclusion is present you should always be aware of what it is, and that’s the entirety of the task in Main Point.

In this stimulus, we begin with a familiar, or at least common, construct: the attribution of some position, action, or belief to an “outside” (non-author) group. Specifically we’re told that the local news media have long praised Clemens as an honest politician. And in typical fashion the author immediately attempts to discredit that belief/action, in this case by stating that Clemens’ corruption scandal proves the local media wrong.

But so far these are stated as factual, which is to say not arguments. It’s the third sentence where we finally arrive at the author’s opinion: the local media show too much deference toward public figures. That is the conclusion the author is driving at, and the correct answer should reflect it as closely as possible.

And finally to drive the point home we get an anecdote about the local paper’s editor and her admission that her reporters could have exposed the scandal earlier but neglected to follow leads. Why did they neglect to follow leads? Deference, according to the author.

Answer choice (A): This is a premise, and serves as the initial claim that the author uses to demonstrate that the local media shows more respect to public figures than they may deserve.

Answer choice (B): is something with which the author would agree, but it is not the main point of the argument. The argument is about why the media was wrong about Clemens: Clemens is a public figure and the media show too much deference to public figures.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. As noted above, the conclusion here is that the local news media show too much deference to public figures.

Answer choice (D): is another premise. Specifically, it’s designed to further support the idea that the media show too much deference to public figures—if they weren’t inherently reverent they likely would have investigated more thoroughly and uncovered the scandal sooner.

Answer choice (E): is the most attractive wrong answer, but not nearly as close to the main point as (C). The argument is about more than just the local newspaper’s behavior; it’s about local news media in general. And it’s not just that this behavior was typical or indicative of how they treat others, but rather that the treatment itself fits a regrettable pattern of deference.
 dbrowning
|
I chose E, because, newspaper to news media problem aside, I am still convinced it captures the conclusion better than C. The stimulus states that "This demonstrates how...". The argument takes the form: Context (long claimed C was honest), specific case counterexample to this view, conclusion: (in my opinion) that this specific case demonstrates superfluous deference to public figures, example to support why the specific case demonstrates superfluous deference.

I read the argument as focusing on the demonstration (the legitimacy of example) of superfluous deference, not the mere presence of superfluous deference itself. Can someone help me on this? I acknowledge the problem with E, but I still think C misses the mark entirely.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question and interesting analysis, dbrowning. The Main Point/Main Conclusion of an argument must be something the author actually said in the course of that argument. It's not an inference that we draw based on what they said, but a repetition, or a good paraphrase, of the one statement in the stimulus that was supported by the others and which supported no other claim.

With that in mind, let me turn this back on you for further analysis. Where in the stimulus did the author say that the Clemens case is indicative of a more general trend at that newspaper? What support is offered for the claim that it is indicative of such a trend there?

There is certainly evidence to support the claim that the local media shows too much deference to public figures. The Clemens case, including the behavior of the reporters who didn't follow leads, shows that much, at least in the eyes of this author. Does the claim that the local media shows too much deference towards public figures in turn support some other statement in the stimulus? If not - if it gets some support and gives none - then it fits the definition of the Main Conclusion of an argument.

You focused a bit on the phrase "this demonstrates that," but that is just another way of saying "the thing I just told you is a premise that supports the conclusion that I am about to tell you." That structure is a big flashing sign, pointing us to the conclusion that follows that phrase.

Be sure to focus on what the author said, and not on whatever inferences we might draw from it. We need the author's conclusion, not our own.
 dbrowning
|
Adam Tyson wrote:Thanks for the question and interesting analysis, dbrowning. The Main Point/Main Conclusion of an argument must be something the author actually said in the course of that argument. It's not an inference that we draw based on what they said, but a repetition, or a good paraphrase, of the one statement in the stimulus that was supported by the others and which supported no other claim.

With that in mind, let me turn this back on you for further analysis. Where in the stimulus did the author say that the Clemens case is indicative of a more general trend at that newspaper? What support is offered for the claim that it is indicative of such a trend there?

There is certainly evidence to support the claim that the local media shows too much deference to public figures. The Clemens case, including the behavior of the reporters who didn't follow leads, shows that much, at least in the eyes of this author. Does the claim that the local media shows too much deference towards public figures in turn support some other statement in the stimulus? If not - if it gets some support and gives none - then it fits the definition of the Main Conclusion of an argument.

You focused a bit on the phrase "this demonstrates that," but that is just another way of saying "the thing I just told you is a premise that supports the conclusion that I am about to tell you." That structure is a big flashing sign, pointing us to the conclusion that follows that phrase.

Be sure to focus on what the author said, and not on whatever inferences we might draw from it. We need the author's conclusion, not our own.
Thanks for the response, Adam. I derived my support, not from an inference, but from the explicit statement: "This demonstrates ow the local media show too much deference...". Answer choice E says "treatment of Clemens is indicative of its treatment of public figures in general". If we take out the newspaper vs. news media problem, this is essentially a direct paraphrase of the main conclusion (or what I took to be the main conclusion). True, if this specific case is a demonstration, then the author would take answer choice C to be true. In my opinion, answer choice C is what takes the inference, and E is what is explicitly stated. If I argued that "my exam grade is a good indication of my poor understanding of the test material", my conclusion is not that I don't understand the test material; it is that my exam grade is a proper representation of my poor understanding.

I have gotten out of the habit of arguing with the LSAT, but I just don't see this one.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Let's simplify the structure a bit and see if you like it better:

Claim 1: A happened

Claim 2: A happening demonstrates that B is true

Claim 3: There is more evidence that B is true

Is this argument designed to show that B is true? Or is it designed to show that A happening demonstrates that B is true? If the latter, what evidence is presented that tends to support Claim 2? You can't use Claim 2 to support itself - there has to be other evidence to support it. Is there?
 dbrowning
|
Adam Tyson wrote:Let's simplify the structure a bit and see if you like it better:

Claim 1: A happened

Claim 2: A happening demonstrates that B is true

Claim 3: There is more evidence that B is true

Is this argument designed to show that B is true? Or is it designed to show that A happening demonstrates that B is true? If the latter, what evidence is presented that tends to support Claim 2? You can't use Claim 2 to support itself - there has to be other evidence to support it. Is there?
Adam,

Thanks again for the reply. I think you can, plausibly, take the final sentence "Even the editor admits..." to support Claim 2. Why can this particular case demonstrate the superfluous deference? Well, one reason is that the editor concedes that the reporters behaved in such a way that demonstrates such superfluous deference. You can read the last sentence as essentially supporting that the particular case is a relevant demonstration. I definitely see the force behind the credited reading, but I think this is more dichotomous than the writers may have realized. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi dbrowning,

The other way to think about a conclusion is to think about the statement that does not provide support in the argument. If the conclusion is the roof of the house (supported but supporting), what part of the argument is "local news media show too much deference toward public figures" supporting? We can see how it is supported by the argument. But I don't see anywhere that it is supporting.

I'm not even totally sure that answer choice (E) is fully something we know from the text of the argument. We know that the author thinks the news media shows too much deference toward public figures. But what public figures? All public figures? Some? Specific categories? Public figures in general? It's never made fully clear.

Hope those thoughts help
Rachael
 smtq123
|
Hi,

We are told that for a statement to be a conclusion, we should do a WHY test to it e.g LSAT 78, Section 3, Q17 (powerscore forum). However, in this question, the conclusion provides no answer to "WHY the local news media show too much deference towards public figure?"

Please clarify. Many thanks in advance.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
smtq,

The specific post you're referring to is here: viewtopic.php?p=73825#p73825 I want to quote the relevant part from that:
If something doesn't answer the question "why should I believe this statement?" then it isn't a premise supporting that statement.
Let's call two statements Statement A and Statement B. If Statement B is the conclusion and Statement A is the premise, then Statement A should answer the question "Why should I believe Statement B is true?"

In question 8 here in this thread, you've switched those around. The conclusion should not answer the question of "why?" The PREMISE answers the question "Why is the conclusion true?" So the conclusion not answering the "why" question is normal and expected.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.