LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #23: Assumption. The correct answer choice is (A).

Some amateur gardeners plant based on the phases of the moon, whereas others plant during the first warm spell of spring. Surprisingly, moon-guided gardeners tend to get better results than others, whereas spring-guided gardeners tend to lose plants to a frost. From these premises, the author concludes that moon-guided gardeners are less likely to lose plants to a frost.

The conclusion assumes, of course, that no gardener uses both gardening techniques. What if some gardeners are guided both by the phases of the moon and by the first warm spell of spring? The two practices do not appear to be mutually exclusive, making this conclusion potentially suspect.

Because this is an assumption question, the answer you select must contain a statement upon which the argument depends, i.e. a statement that is necessary for the conclusion to be true. Typically, if you see a major weakness in the argument, look for a Defender assumption answer stating that the particular weakness does not exist. Here, the author must be assuming that using the phases of the moon somehow precludes planting at the first warm spell of spring. This prephrase reveals answer choice (A) to be correct.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, as it agrees with our prephrase. If this answer is troubling you, use the Assumption Negation Technique and ask yourself if the following statement would undermine the argument:
Using the phases of the moon does not usually lead gardeners to plant later in the spring than those planting at the first warm spell (i.e. the same gardener can easily engage in both gardening practices).
If true, the logical opposite of answer choice (A) clearly shows that gardeners who use the phases of the moon are just as likely to lose plants as those who plant during the first warm spell of spring, weakening the conclusion of the argument. Therefore, answer choice (A) is an assumption upon which the argument depends.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because the argument assumes no causal relationship between the phases of the moon and frost.

Answer choice (C) is incorrect. Try the Assumption Negation Technique: Even if the two types of gardeners planted the same types of plants, it would still be possible that gardeners who use the moon are less likely to lose their plants to a frost.

Answer choice (D): There is no reason to believe that gardeners need to understand why their methods work in order to improve their results. This answer choice introduces an entirely novel idea that has little relevance to the conclusion of the argument.

Answer choice (E): The argument is about amateur, not professional, gardeners. Eliminate.
 CristinaCP
|
Hi! I chose A because when you negate it, the argument falls apart. Also, the other answers are clearly not necessary. But the "usually" in A made me pause for a second. Isn't it only necessary that at least some amateur gardeners who use moon phases plant after the first warm spell? Do we really need them to "usually" plant after the first warm spell? I know this is nitpicky, but every word counts on the LSAT so I wanted to check!
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Cristina,

In assumption questions it's important that the answer choice matches the surety of the stimulus, so your focus on language is good.

Here the author says first that hose using the moon "tend" to get better results in the first sentence and then that they are "less likely " to lose plants to a frost in the last. These are somewhat broad statements about general trends, so it makes sense that an assumption we are relying on is similarly broad - those who follow the moon phases usually plant later in the spring.

It wouldn't make as much sense to say that we must assume some (which could be only one gardener!) who follows the moon cycle is less likely to lose their plant than those who plant after the first warm spell, because one gardener's results is not enough for the author to now make more broad claims about those who plant based off moon cycles versus those who plant post warm spell. We need to assume that generally, this is how things work for most amateur gardeners in order for us to follow the author's reasoning and conclusion.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.