LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #3: Assumption. The correct answer choice is (A).

Rock music was terrible, the critic laments, but at least the album covers of rock LPs were cool (apparently, they featured “innovative visual art”). With LPs now gone and replaced by digital music, the critic believes rock music has nothing going for it.

Because this is an assumption question, the answer you select must contain a statement upon which the argument depends, i.e. a statement that is necessary for the conclusion to be true. Usually, such arguments contain a logical gap that you need to identify and eliminate. For instance, the critic dismisses modern rock music simply because today’s digital albums lack the album covers of rock LPs from the 1960s. Isn’t it possible that digital albums are distributed with covers featuring visual art that is just as innovative as the art from the 1960s? Apparently not, the author assumes. This prephrase immediately reveals answer choice (A) to be correct.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Try the Assumption Negation Technique: if digital music is distributed with accompanying innovative visual art, then the critic’s dismissal would be premature. Since the logical opposite of answer choice (A) weakens the conclusion of the argument, answer choice (A) contains an assumption upon which the argument depends.

Answer choice (B): The critic makes no assumptions about how many rock LPs are produced today. Even if such LPs do exist, it is unclear whether their covers feature innovative art like they did in the past. And if they do, perhaps the critic should not have dismissed all of today’s rock music outright. Whether this answer choice weakens the argument or not is ultimately irrelevant, as it clearly does not represent an assumption upon which the argument depends.

Answer choice (C): Whether rock LPs were the only ones featuring innovative album cover art in the past has no bearing on the issue of whether rock music has any redeeming qualities today.

Answer choice (D): That author makes no assumptions about the album cover art found on all LPs produced today. This statement falls entirely outside the scope of the argument, and may even weaken the critic’s position if we assume that some of the LPs produced today are actually rock LPs.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice may seem attractive, because it supports the critic’s conclusion that rock music today is worthless: apparently, it is even less sophisticated and more socially destructive than it was before! As damning as this statement may be, it is not necessary for the conclusion to be true. After all, the critic regards all rock music as musically bankrupt and socially destructive—a position so absolute as to render any such comparisons entirely unnecessary. Try the Assumption Negation Technique: even if rock music today is no more socially destructive or musically bankrupt than was the rock music of the 1960s, the critic’s position still stands: without cool album cover art, all rock music is worthless. Since the logical opposite of answer choice (E) fails to weaken the critic’s position, this answer choice does not contain an assumption upon which his position depends.
 mokkyukkyu
|
For some reason this question bothers me a lot...
It says "rock music has nothing going for it" but even if A is true...can't LP still have visual art which have some value?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mokkyukkyu,

This is an Assumption question, so the correct approach is not to assume that any of the answer choices are "true." Rather, to test if a given answer choice is an assumption, you need to negate it and ask yourself: if that answer choice is not true, will it weaken the conclusion of the argument? If so, then it is clearly an assumption upon which the argument depends. This is precisely how we proved that answer choice (A) - above - contains an assumption upon which the critic's argument depends.

Thanks,
 freddythepup
|
Hi, I had a lot of trouble with this one. While I get why A works because when negated, it weakens the argument, I still don't get why A is the correct answer. The conclusion states that since the success of digital music ended he production of LPs, rock music has nothing going for it. When I read this, my first thought was digital music today must have accompanying artwork, because if it didn't, then rock music would still have something going for it, i.e. the accompanying art. This is why I quickly dismissed answer choice A. If digital music had accompanying art work, what would this have to do with rock music that has it? Wouldn't that mean that rock music still have something going for it?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The author here believes that rock music used to have only one thing going for it, and that was the artwork that came with LPs. Now that music has gone digital, he believes that rock music has nothing going for it any more. That means the one thing it had going for it - the artwork - must be gone! That's the assumption, and that is answer A. If you negate that, you should see (as you did) that the argument falls apart. If there is such artwork accompanying digital music, then it still has that artwork going for it, and the claim that it has nothing going for it is unsupported.

When you negate an assumption of an argument, Freddy, it wrecks the argument. That's how you know it is an assumption! There is no need to analyze it beyond that, and doing so may only cause confusion. If the negation of the answer destroys the argument, then that answer is an assumption of the argument, end of story. Don't make it any more complicated than that!
 alexmcc
|
I crossed out A because I thought that digital music having innovative visual art would "go for" digital music only. Why would a characteristic of digital music go for rock music? Has there been a question like this before, where we need to assume one segment should take credit for the same characteristic that a later segment has?

Edit: Ahhh I got it! OK so digital music is not the genre of music called digital, rather its the opposite of physical music. So if there's still innovative cover art on digital covers, then the argument falls apart. For anyone wondering why I would assume there's a genre of music called digital that's completely crowding out LP's and thus ending their production, before assuming the music itself was digitized, thus ending the production of LP's? I don't know either. Maybe I wasn't the only one so I'll leave this here.

Thanks,
Alex
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LOL! I get it, man! Like maybe "digital" is like Trap, or EDM? I get you. You got it now! It's the medium on which the music is transmitted, rather than the type of music.
 davidh
|
I have hard time understanding why A is the correct answer choice

My thought process was/is that even if negated, digital music IS distributed with accompanying innovative visual art, conclusion, rock music has nothing going for it, still holds.

Because innovative visual art from the recent digital music might have nothing to do with rock music.
Maybe the innovative visual art today in digital music might have been influenced by post-modernism not rock music.
Why do we have to assume innovative visual art from the digital music is influenced by the rock music??
 Ben DiFabbio
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
davidh wrote:I have hard time understanding why A is the correct answer choice

My thought process was/is that even if negated, digital music IS distributed with accompanying innovative visual art, conclusion, rock music has nothing going for it, still holds.

Because innovative visual art from the recent digital music might have nothing to do with rock music.
Maybe the innovative visual art today in digital music might have been influenced by post-modernism not rock music.
Why do we have to assume innovative visual art from the digital music is influenced by the rock music??
Hey David,

The important thing to keep in mind here is that "digital" music is not presented as a different category from "rock" music in the stimulus.

For the purposes of this argument, rock music existed in the 1960-70s, and it also exists now. "Digital" is not meant to refer to a style of music; it refers to music that is transmitted/downloaded/played on computers, rather than music that is played on physical "albums."

The critic's argument depends on the assumption that the rock music of today, existing as it now does in "digital" form, is not still accompanied by innovative visual art, despite not having physical "album covers."

I hope that clears things up!
 az305203
|
"Digital music" evidently does not refer to edm, even though "digital media" would have been the same number of letters. :roll:, LSAC

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.