LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #11: Weaken, CE. The correct answer choice is (D).

The police chief would like to take credit for the falling crime rate in his city, arguing that crime has fallen as a result of his policing strategy:

Policing strategy (cause) :arrow: Crime has fallen by 20 percent (effect)

As with all causal arguments, you must critically evaluate the causality described in them. The conclusion, which is easy to spot due to the conclusion indicator “clearly,” is based on a mere coincidence. Just because the policing strategy coincided with the falling crime rate does not automatically prove that the former caused the latter. There may be an alternate cause for the stated effect, or both might be coincidental effects of another cause. We can also weaken the argument by showing counterexamples whereby the cause occurs without the effect, or the effect occurs without the cause.

Answer choice (A): The police chief’s strategy may still be effective, even if his city has some ways to go. After all, the crime rate has fallen by 20 percent during his tenure. The fact that other cities have an even lower crime rate means nothing, as they could have been historically safer cities.

Answer choice (B): As with answer choice (A), we are given reasons to believe that the city’s crime rate could be even lower (it was lower several decades before the chief’s tenure began). This is hardly a gripe. His strategy may still be working, even if the city has some ways to go.

Answer choice (C): The new policing strategy could easily have caused the crime rate to fall sharply, then level off. Just because the rate of decrease varies over time does not mean that the strategy is ineffective.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. If the crime rate in the country as a whole fell by 30 percent during the police chief’s tenure, it shows that the effect could occur without the cause. What’s worse, the country experienced an even more pronounced drop in its crime rate, suggesting that the chief’s policing strategy may have been counterproductive. Granted, it is still possible that the strategy actually worked, especially if the chief’s city was unique in some respect (perhaps it had an uncontrollable crime rate that the chief finally brought down). Still, this answer choice clearly undermines the credibility of the explanation presented in the conclusion, making it the correct answer choice to this Weaken question.

Answer choice (E): Precisely how the crime rates vary between different areas of the chief’s city, and how that variation compares to neighboring cities, has absolutely no bearing on the conclusion at hand.
 jrc3813
|
If you accept D, aren't you guilty of a fallacy of composition? Just because crime in the country as a whole has decreased doesn't mean every city should decrease or by decrease the same amount. Maybe his city is really bad and has previously been increasing in crime. A 20% reduction would be impressive.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jrc,

Answer choice (D) does not definitively disprove the police chief's conclusion. It does undermine it somewhat. Since it would be more than a stretch to assume that the police chief has implemented her strategy in large parts of the country, there must have been different reasons for the drop in crime in other cities.

This inference provides us with enough doubt to question the police chief's argument. If we knew that this city may have simply ridden the tide of falling crime rates nationwide, or been the result of broader forces, we would justifiably want to ask the police chief to support her claims with more evidence. This is all that is needed to weaken the argument: we need to choose an answer that would question the speaker's conclusion.

Since we are not looking for an answer choice that disproves the conclusion with 100% certainty, choice (D) is not an error of composition.
 Iam181
|
I got this one right the first time however during my blind review I'm questioning how I must assume the police chief's strategy was only implemented in the city and not the whole country as a whole. Is the "police chief" title of local police or could it also be a countrywide chief?

If he or shes strategy was implemented in the whole country I think it would actually strengthen the argument by showing Cauce and effect both present.

Thanks!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Iam181!

Police chief is only a citywide position, not countrywide. This is common knowledge in the U.S. but can also be inferred because the police chief is only talking about the results in one city. If the police chief was responsible for the entire country, she would be unlikely to be discussing the crime drop in just one city, as that would likely reflect more on local law enforcement than on her policing strategy.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 cmorris32
|
Hi PowerScore!

I just want to double-check that I understand why answer choice B is incorrect. Is it incorrect because, even if the city's crime rate was higher now than it was several decades ago, it does not give us reason to believe that the police chief's protocols are not working? I guess it also could have happened that several decades ago, the crime rate was lower, and then it increased, and then it decreased under the police chief's tenure, just not to the level it was at before?

I was stuck between B and D, and I understand how D works, but I still feel like B has some weaken effect and I want to make sure I understand!

Thanks!
Caroline :-D
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You got it, Caroline! What happened decades before is irrelevant, because we only want to compare where the crime stats are now compared to when the chief took office. Good work!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.