LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question #20: Must. The correct answer choice is (E).

A study compared the brains of people who had schizophrenia to those who did not. Apparently, 35% of those with schizophrenia, no 0% of those without, showed damage to a structure of nerve cells called the “subplate.” Interestingly, the researchers knew that this damage must have occurred prior to the second fetal trimester, i.e. before birth.

The question stem asks us to identify an answer choice that is supported by the information contained in the stimulus. The facts clearly suggest that if the damage to the subplate actually causes schizophrenia (something the study implies, but does not prove), then that cause is likely to predate birth.

Answer choice (A): Just because 35% of those with schizophrenia had abnormal brain subplates does not mean that 35% of the people with abnormal brain subplates will eventually have schizophrenia. Maybe all of them will. This is a classic Shell Game answer.

Answer choice (B): We have no proof that repairing the damaged connections between the different parts of the brain would be a promising treatment. This seems likely, but no definitive conclusion can be drawn on the basis of the information provided.

Answer choice (C): Read carefully! The damage occurred prior to the second fetal trimester, not after that trimester.

Answer choice (D): The stimulus does not indicate why the subplate damage occurs in the first place. Its causes could be genetic, but they can also be environmental in origin.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. While correlations can never constitute a definitive proof of a causal relationship, they indicate that such a relationship may exist. The qualified language used here (“there may be a cause…”) establishes a mere possibility, which is a reasonable conclusion to draw from the information provided.
 lolaSur
|
Hi!

Answer C was a tempting choice. I actually didn't realize that the answer stated "after" instead of "prior" to the second trimester. I decided against answer C because I felt it was too strong. Just because 35% of people with schizophrenia showed damage to sublate doesn't necessarily mean that the damage to subplate caused those people to develop schizophrenia.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lola,

Both (C) and (E) are saying that subplate damage is a cause of schizophrenia, a likely inference to make based on the stimulus. What makes (C) incorrect is, as you note, the statement that it is sublate damage after the second trimester, whereas the stimulus explicitly states that the damage is caused before the second trimester. So the timeframe in (C) is off, while the much more vague wording of (E) allows it to be correct.

Good job reading carefully!
 iarzir2020
|
Hi! Okay, not sure if I'm missing something, but how are we supposed to know that "prior to second fetal trimester" implies prior to birth? I didn't pick E because I thought it was a stretch, as the cause could've presumably happened in the first fetal trimester.
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi iarzir,

It sounds like that is in fact what the stimulus is saying: "this damage must have occurred prior to the second fetal trimester" - this implies it happened in the first fetal trimester.

Because inference questions invite such close reading, it can be challenging when an answer choices uses more generalized language. Any fetal trimester would be prior to birth, so there is no problem in drawing this inference.
 cd1010
|
Hello -- If AC C said "before the second fetal trimester", would that make the AC correct? I had eliminated this because I thought it was making a causal claim about subplate damage and schizophrenia that wasn't supported by the stimulus.
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey CD,

Even if Answer (C) said "before" the second fetal trimester, it would be incorrect because it would be implying a causal relationship between the damage in the brain and developing schizophrenia, and we cannot be sure based on the information in the stimulus that this is a cause-and-effect relationship rather than a correlational one.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.