LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (D).

A fairly straightforward Source Argument occurs in this stimulus, which means that the author attacked some characteristic of their opponent rather than focusing on what they said or did. As with many such arguments, the author has focused on the supposed motives of the people making promises, presuming without warrant that if they made those promises with selfish motives that they would not then keep their promises. This overlooks the possibility that even a promise made for a selfish reason might still be kept by the person who made it.

Incidentally, this question is a good example of how the difficulty of questions does not simply rise from easy to hard over the course of a section of LR. Often, fairly easy questions can be found among the last 10 questions in a section, especially near the very end like this. That's why it is so important not to allow yourself to get bogged down on harder questions earlier in the section. You definitely do not want to run out of time before reaching this one!

Answer choice (A): This answer is a bit of a shell game compared to what we are looking for. The author makes no presumptions about unselfish promises, but only about ones made for selfish reasons.

Answer choice (B): Although this answer is very attractive and close to our prephrase, "never kept" is too strong in this case, as the author only argued that such promises are unreliable. That leaves room for the possibility that they are sometimes kept, even if one should not rely on that happening.

Answer choice (C): The argument is not in any way causal, and so this answer is just a distraction.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This answer matches what we are looking for, because the author did overlook the possibility that a promise made with ulterior motives still might be reliable.

Answer choice (E): "Worthy of office" is not an issue in this argument and has nothing to do with whether certain promises may or may not be reliable.
 Applesaid
|
Hello!

Again this is my weakness in flawed reasoning.

I reasoned the stimulus like this: because politicians' purpose in giving these speeches is to get themselves elected, these speeches are selfishly motivated and the promises in them are unreliable.

So I thought "ok, just because the motivation is selfish doesn't mean that speeches they made have to be unreliable." So the correct answer choice D looks right and my prephrase led me to it correctly this time. But wait a minute, I started to debate between D/E when I continued to look at the remaining answer choices. And why not E?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Applesaid wrote:Hello!

Again this is my weakness in flawed reasoning.

I reasoned the stimulus like this: because politicians' purpose in giving these speeches is to get themselves elected, these speeches are selfishly motivated and the promises in them are unreliable.

So I thought "ok, just because the motivation is selfish doesn't mean that speeches they made have to be unreliable." So the correct answer choice D looks right and my prephrase led me to it correctly this time. But wait a minute, I started to debate between D/E when I continued to look at the remaining answer choices. And why not E?
Hello,

"Worthiness" is not an issue here, so E doesn't work.

David
 stevendoering
|
For this question, I think answer choices A, C, and D can be eliminated pretty quickly. From there, we turn our attention to answer choice B, which although sounds like a match, is really a trap; the stimulus refers to promises being UNRELIABLE (ie don't count on them). Contrast this with B, which says the promises are never kept, which does not match the stated beliefs of the author, although they do not necessarily conflict

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.