LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

Can you explain why the answer to this question is D and not C? I got confused by the logic in the stimulus and subsequently couldn't decide between these two choices. Thank you.

- Micah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Micah,

Please provide a detailed breakdown of how you understood the argument. At the very least, we expect to see evidence that you were able to:
  • Deconstruct the stimulus into premises/conclusion.
  • Understand whether the conclusion logically follows from the premises, and if not - why not?
  • Correctly identify the type of question in the stem.
  • Prephrase an answer to that question. (Don't be afraid if your prephrase was off - we still need to see what it was).
  • Defend your choice of (incorrect) answer choice.
The more you tell us about your method of approach, the better we can help you figure it out.

Thanks!
 LetsGetThis180
|
I was stuck between C and D as well. Is C wrong because it says "MOST of the gold mines that Moradco" whereas the stimulus states "EVERY one of the gold mines that Moradco." Thanks!
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LetsGetThis180,
Since this is a Must Be True Question we have to make sure that the answer we choose is 100% true based upon what we have been told in the argument. For answer C we are not told whether the majority of the gold mines are or are not located in Velyena. But to test the truth of this answer choice if we said for a moment that the majority of gold mines were located in Velyena, the argument could still be true since there could simply be even more of the other types of mines in Velyena than there are gold mines. That means that C is not necessarily true based upon the truth of the argument.
Hope that helps!
Malila
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey there,

I have this down to D and E, and selected E on my first pass through.

Here is my breakdown of the stimulus:

MOV: Mines operated veylena
VER: Violated environmental regulations
GMTW: Gold mines throughout the world

MOV :most: Not VER

GMTW :arrow: VER

So, is D correct and essentially saying that, most mines operated in veylena do not violate regulations, and since every gold mine throughout the world (within this company) has violated environmental regulations it must be true that most of the mines operated in veylena are not gold mines.

Why can't it be argued that All of the operated mines in veylena are not gold mines, as it seems to me that if one was, that would violate the first conditional and be an excellent answer for a cannot be true question.
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi T.B.Justin,
Your charts and reasoning for why D is correct are great!

You then ask, "Why can't it be argued that All of the operated mines in veylena are not gold mines..." And the answer to that is similar to what I explained above for answer C. This is a Must Be True question, so the answer needs to factually match the information presented in the stimulus. We are not told that all of the mines in Veylena are gold mines, and it is not necessary to the argument that they are all gold mines (which is why D works as the correct answer.)
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey Malila!

I will have to continue absorbing what is not necessary in certain instances, like with this factual scenario!

Thank you for the reminder!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.