LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Main Point. The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lday4
|
I see why B is the correct answer, but I was hesitant to choose it because it doesn't say growing genetically engineered crops on a "large-scale" and that's specified in the stimulus. Was I overthinking it?

Thanks!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lday,

You're right that the best possible answer would include "large-scale." Keep in mind, though, that you're looking for the best answer of the ones available, not a perfect answer. Here, even though it isn't perfect, B is still closer than any of the other answer choices.
 lsatstudier
|
Hi,

Why is B a better option than A? Is it because the question is looking for the Main Point, and the other answer choices discuss a particular aspect of the stimulus (whereas B is the most general)?

Thank you!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudier,

This is a Main Point question. You can underline the main point as you are reading the stimulus. Here, the main point is "It is unwise for farmers to grow such crops." Answer choice (B) is most similar to that sentence. Answer choice (A) is a sub-conclusion (also called an "intermediate conclusion"). It is part of the first sentence in the stimulus.

Here's the structure of the stimulus:
Farmers who use genetically engineered plants on a large scale are at great financial risk (SUB-CONCLUSION) because at any time a study could be published that would undermine what little confidence consumers have in genetically engineered foods (PREMISE). It is unwise for farmers to grow such crops. (CONCLUSION) They do not fetch a high enough price to compensate for the risk. (ADDITIONAL PREMISE).

It can help to see this better if I change the order:
PREMISE 1: At any time a study could be published that would undermine what little confidence consumers have in genetically engineered foods.
SUB-CONCLUSION: Farmers who use genetically engineered plants on a large scale are at great financial risk.
PREMISE 2: They do not fetch a high enough price to compensate for the risk.
CONCLUSION: It is unwise for farmers to grow such crops.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.