LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

angelsfan0055
|
Could someone post an explanation? thank you for al your work!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi angelsfan0055!

I would create two templates for this game based on where the TN block goes.

If T is in the front car and N is in the middle car, we know that U also has to be in the front car (U :longline: N), one of W/X will be in the middle car and one will be in the rear car (at least one boy per car), and S will be in either the middle or the rear car. Whichever car S is NOT in will have the empty seat (E on my diagram stands for "empty").

If T is in the middle car and N is in the rear car, U will still have to be in the front car because it must be before N and since there must be two boys in the front car and at least one boy in each car, the middle and rear cars can only have one boy each. One of W/X will be in the front car and one will be in the rear car. That leaves S and the empty seat for the middle car.
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.24.51 PM.png
Now question #4 asks: "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the children each of whom CANNOT sit in a car that has exactly two children in it?" That's basically just asking us for a list of children who cannot be in the car with the empty seat. So let's use our templates to get rid of the children who can sit in the car with the empty seat. In template #1, N, S, P, W, and X could all sit in the car with the empty seat. In template #2, S and T are in the car with the empty seat. So the only children who cannot sit in the car with the empty seat are U and O, both of which are always in the front car which always has three children in it.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 ashpine17
|
How do you know that the pieces (children) don't repeat for this game? I wasn't sure because there were a maximum of nine open slots and only eight pieces so I thought one of the children could repeat.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's because of the description in the scenario, ashpine, which says the children "are seated". That means they are all sitting down at a fixed moment in time, and a person cannot be seated in two different places at once!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.