LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11733)

The correct answer choice is (B)

Answer choice (B) can be proven correct by the following hypothetical:
J91_Game_#4_#22_diagram 1.png
This hypothetical shows that both the line 1 tickets for January and the line 2 tickets for February could be yellow. Therefore, answer choice (B) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 acp25
|
Hi! May I please know what the best way to answer a question like this? I know that diagramming each answer choice would take up so much time. -Amy
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ACP,
First, I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't read too much into these early games. This is, in fact, from the first test, way back in 1991. Games and game strategy has become more sophisticated.
Going down the line ABCDE is rarely a good strategy. Rather, prephrasing is key. In this case, there are two ways we can prephrase. The first is by setting up templates. Two rules divide the game up into two parts, together, they naturally divide the game into three (at first four, but one is contradicted). Either January 1 or January 3 must be red, so we can diagram both. Next we add January 3 is green to them, yielding four. But the combination of January 3 being Red AND being green is not possible. Instead we get 1) Jan1 Red & Jan 3 Green, 2)Jan 1 Red and Feb 3 Green, 3) Jan 3 Red and Feb 3 Green. We make some inferences and we get the attached diagram.
IMG_7855.JPG
The second prephrase, is to notice that the first three answer choices begin with "Both" which is easier to check quickly and harder to reproduce. So I would just go through ABC as quickly as possible using the template.
We can see that Jan 1 can be green in diagram 3 but then Feb 2 cannot be green so A is out. In the same diagram, we can see that Jan 1 and Feb 2 can in fact both be yellow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.