LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If that works for you, menkenj, then that's great! At Powerscore we never take that grid approach, but some people like it, and you have to do what works for you. My first thought about using the grid here is that I don't like the idea of putting C and P together in one box - that feels a little cluttered to me, and maybe difficult to read as I am trying to move quickly through the questions. But our suggestions are just that, and all we can hope for is that they prove helpful to you along the way as you go about figuring out your own method for getting it done.
 alexis.la
|
Hi there, I understand the setup of this game but I need some advice about advanced linear games more generally.

Basically, we get lucky with all the dual-options in this game because we can look at the set-up and track down answers. At least for me, I can keep all these options organized in my brain and study the initial set up for answers. BUT if I wanted to re-draw hypotheticals, do you have any advice for saving time when re-doing my base? I don't re-diagram all the rules but compared to linear games, the extra variable always slows me down. In this game for example, 'computers and printers' don't have an inherent sense of order (other examples: colours, materials, classes, etc.). So If i just draw 2 rows of 8, I waste time always looking at the original digram to double check which row is which and orient myself. The extra row in any advanced linear game always takes me multiple questions to memorize, so would you suggest taking a few extra seconds to name all the variables on my hypothetical diagrams?

I hope this makes sense. I understand advanced linear games will naturally take longer to set-up, but let me know any tips :)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
When we draw local diagrams to answer local questions, alexis.la, we would still recommend you draw out at least a rough sketch of the original base, copying the essential elements from your main diagram. Of course, you don't have to memorize anything because your main diagram should still be right in front of you on your scratch paper, and you should use it as a reference tool. In this game, if I were to encounter any local questions that called for a diagram, I would draw those two rows of four spaces each (not 8 as you said in your question), label one row as C and the other as P, fill in the things that I know are always true from the main diagram (like putting an 8 in C1 and also in P3), and then plug in the local restriction, after which I would run through the rules and apply them to see what new inferences arose. Yes, it can take a little time, but it's worth it if it means selecting the correct answer quickly and confidently!

Draw it out, taking the time it requires. That's true of local diagrams, and of the main diagram. It's time well spent!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.