LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6078)

The correct answer choice is (B)

The Local condition in the question stem produces the following mini-diagram:

pt1_j91_g1_q3.png
Adding the Local condition to the PN block produces a L-K-P-N sequence. Since L must sit next to M or N, M must sit next to L, and, again, O sits in the final chair. Answer choice (B) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Jay
|
Hello Powerscore.

how is "directly between" different from "immediately between"?

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's not, Jay! Those two phrases mean exactly the same thing, that K is sandwiched between L and P with nobody intervening between them. Order doesn't matter here - you could go clockwise or counterclockwise - and you'll get either LKP or else PKL as a block.
 angelsfan0055
|
I'm missing how the answer to this is B, I chose A. My diagam had it as M L K P O N. Could you detail what I'm missing here?
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Angels fan,

I think there are a few ways you could handle this game and this question. Dave's response was very helpful for me.

I can try and explain it a different way and see if that sticks.

So, the question gave us a LKP block or a PKL block. Order doesn't matter here anyway but sometimes it's helpful to represent both if you would prefer not to draw a circle.

Then we have the rule PN must be next to each other which I will add on to the above two options. Now we have a LKPN block and a NPKL block.

Then we have the rule that L has to be next to M or L has to be next to N, which we will incorporate.

Now we have a MLKPN block and a NPKLM block depdning on our two outcomes. Now our only entity remaining is O. which must go on the end, and it doesn't matter where it goes. So no matter what, because it is a circle, M is going to be next to O and L no matter where you place the O.

I prefer the way Dave drew it out to my explanation personally, but I thought I would give you another method since you wanted further explanation after viewing Dave's diagram.

Good luck in your studies.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.