LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15621)

The correct answer choice is (A)

J must have been hired sixth, leaving six variables—H, F and I, D, E, B—hired before J. Consequently, the correct answer is six. As you might suspect, a number of students incorrectly selected answer choice (B) because they counted just the days before J. The question stem is specific in asking for the number of workers hired before J, not the number of days before J’s hiring. Remember—always read each question stem very closely!
 joliekwok8@gmail.com
|
Hi,

I was having some difficulties with question #3 of this problem because I had interpreted one of the conditions, "Garcia was hired after both Jessup and Brandt" to mean that I could draw a double branch from Garcia (and Calva according to the original rule) extending left to Jessup and Brant on separate branches.

However, when I looked at the explanation for the problem, Jessup was decisively placed 6th although, at least to my interpretation, there was no rule that said J must be 6th. I thought that J only had to be before GC, meaning that J could have just been placed in any slot besides the 7th one. any help with this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jolie,

It looks like you missed the final rule of the game! (Rule #8 if you number them.)

It states that "Brandt was hired before Jessup."

It appears right after the rule "Garcia was hired after both Jessup and Brandt."

When combined with the other rules, it creates a chain that places J behind all of the other variables except C and G.

(See Dave's link posted above for the complete setup to this game.)

While missing a rule can happen to anyone, let this be a warning to slow down and to be extra careful during the setup. Not to sound overly dramatic, but missing a rule or (mis-diagramming a rule) is potentially one of the worst things that can happen on test day because it doesn't just affect one question, but can completely ruin your game and even your entire logic games section.

For this reason, it is critical that you carefully read and correctly diagram each rule. Don't rush this step!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.