LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.

The variables and basic setup to this game can be diagrammed as follows:

Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 1.png
The first rule establishes R Not Laws on the first and last houses on the street, and the second rule establishes that K is the fourth house on the street:
Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 2.png
The third rule establishes a MK or KM block. Because there are two options for this block but K is already fixed, this is shown as a dual-option for M. In addition, because M is not completely fixed, we will show the M Not Laws on houses 1, 2, 6, and 7:

Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 3.png
Finally, the last rule produces a sequence that appears as follows:

Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 4.png
This sequence produces a number of Not Laws for P and L, in particular that P and L cannot occupy any of the first three houses, and that L cannot be fifth and that P cannot be last (because P :longline: L):

Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 5.png
As always, before moving on to the questions make sure to check the restrictions within the game. The first house has the greatest number of Not Laws, so take a moment to examine the possibilities for the first house. The first house cannot be occupied by K because K is already placed, and also cannot be occupied by R, M, P, and L due to Not Laws. Thus, only N or O remain to occupy the first house, an inference that plays a significant role within the game. Adding this information to the game leads to the final setup:

Dec91_Game_#2_setup_diagram 6.png
Notes:

N and O are randoms (despite the fact that they appear on the diagram; this is a result of the actions of the other rules, not from a specific rule involving N or O), and are noted with asterisks.

As a result of the combination of the second, third, and fourth rules, we can infer that P must live in either the fifth house or the sixth house, and L must be in either the sixth house or the seventh house. This occurs because the P :longline: L sequence must be to the east of the MK block, leaving P :longline: L to fit into the fifth, sixth, and seventh houses. Although P and L options could be added to the diagram, doing so could be confusing because a P/M dual-option would appear on house 5, when it is also possible that others could occupy the house.

Also, if M lives in the fifth house, then P lives in the sixth house and L lives in the seventh house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 arilee37
|
Hello PowerScore,
I understand that P cannot occupy the 1st and 2nd as we need room for K and M, but I have hard time figuring out why it cannot occupy the 3rd house from the West. Can you please clarify?
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi arilee37,
You are almost there!! P can't be third for the same reason that it can't be first or second. Your MK or KM block is going to be at 3-4 (M-K) or 4-5 (K-M). If you have to place P to the East of K/M then the earliest you could place P would be 5th, if you did an MKP block at 3-4-5.
Hope that helps!!
-Malila
 ToluOj
|
Hello,

I went ahead and did two templates for this game. I did template #1 with K4, M5 which placed P & L in 6,7 respectively and gave me an O/N split dual option for space 1. And for template #2, I had M3, K4 with a split triple option L/N/O on 7 and the same O/N split on 1 again. I didn't have to draw any local diagrams for this game, which I loved ofc! I know your advice on templates tends to be based on personal preference, but I guess I just want to check in and make sure templates are just as fast as the other way for this problem.

Thanks,
Tolu
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tolu,

I think templates are a great way to go on this game, where you have the "either/or" option for M, and where one of those options for M (placing it in spot 5) has such a direct/immediate impact on P and L. You just have to leave certain spaces more open-ended in each template (as your description reflects). For your second template, make sure you depict P :longline: L hovering over spots 5, 6, and 7, so you can see that's the space where they have to fit. There's nothing else, though, that I would add or take away from the descriptions you gave of your templates. Really nice job!
 ariellelogan
|
Hi, just to clarify, you put West on the left and East on the right because of the directions of a compass correct? Similarly, if I ever encountered N or S on a question, I would assume S is on the bottom and N is on the top, right?
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's correct. And, as in a linear game, the setup is generally going to be up to you (for example you could have chosen to place West at the bottom and then East at the top in a vertical line, or similarly reverse the vertical direction), and the important point is that within any setup you choose, the rules of the game diagrammed correctly relative to each other.

But long story short, it sounds like you have a good handle on things!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.