LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=12807)

The correct answer choice is (A)

From our discussion of the setup, we determined that N orders pork chops or veal cutlet. Hence, answer choice (A) must be true and is correct.
 Wounded_Bear
|
Hi,

There is a deep inference in this game that plays out in a lot of logic games when there is a tight space, but I can't wrap my head around it really. I need help fleshing it out, or maybe I am seeing something that is not there.

Basically, the possible dishes for these men are the following:
L --> P/R/T/V
J --> P/R/V
N --> P/V

I have noticed that they hit at this type of inference a lot. They ask a must be true about something that has to be picked amongst the men. . I'm getting these questions right, but it is taking too much time. What is a simple way to infer from these possibilities that P or V must be selected from the men. The dishes the women have are pretty irrelevant to this question. Is there a quicker way to see that P or V have to be chosen? I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

PS: I used process of elimination to get the right answer. But they love to test an inference like this and I want to get it down.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The inference about N is something we should probably get while doing the initial setup here, Wounded_Bear. N has three "not-laws," more than any other player in the game, which should lead us to looking into what N could have.

N cannot have R, because O has R and partners cannot have the same entree.

N cannot have S or T because of the rule that prevents the men from having fish.

Thus, N's only remaining options are P or else V.

When one position in the base is limited to just two options, it's a pretty good idea to show that in that space with a "dual option" notation. Here, that would be writing "P/V" above the space for N, which is what we showed in the setup for this game found here: viewtopic.php?t=12807

With this notation included in our main diagram, the answer to this question should be clear!
 Wounded_Bear
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 pm The inference about N is something we should probably get while doing the initial setup here, Wounded_Bear. N has three "not-laws," more than any other player in the game, which should lead us to looking into what N could have.

N cannot have R, because O has R and partners cannot have the same entree.

N cannot have S or T because of the rule that prevents the men from having fish.

Thus, N's only remaining options are P or else V.

When one position in the base is limited to just two options, it's a pretty good idea to show that in that space with a "dual option" notation. Here, that would be writing "P/V" above the space for N, which is what we showed in the setup for this game found here: viewtopic.php?t=12807

With this notation included in our main diagram, the answer to this question should be clear!
Thanks so much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.