LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced game.

The variables in this game are easy to identify:

Men: J L N3
Women: K M O3
Entrees: P R S T V5

The setup, however, can be a bit more complicated because the men and women are paired in the first rule, and because there is also a rule about the men not ordering the same entree. So, we need a way to see both connections easily, and the best way to set the game up, then, is as follows:
PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 1.png

This setup has the advantage of showing each couple (they are each vertical pair) and also showing each gender (in the rows) in a compact, easily visualized manner.

The first rule in the game establishes that the two people in each couple cannot order the same entree as each other. This can be diagrammed as:

PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 2.png

The “E” represents “entree,” and the “E” is a shorthand way to express the five not-blocks produced by this rule.

The second rule establishes that none of the men can order the same entree:
PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 3.png

These two rules are critical to the game, but we will consider the implications of these two rules after considering the last three rules.

The last three rules of the game place certain variables and establish several Not Laws:

PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 4.png

With these rules represented, we can turn to combining the information already provided.

The combination of the first rule and the third rule results in the deduction that L cannot order swordfish, and the combination of the first rule and the fifth rule results in the deduction that N cannot order roast beef:
PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 5.png

As always, examine the most restricted areas in the game. In this case, N is extremely restricted because N cannot order S, T, or R. Thus, there are only two entree choices for N: P or V. This inference is the key to the game, and leads to the final setup:

PT3-Dec1991 LG Explanations game 1 setup diagram 6.png
 na02
|
I did the setup as a t-chart (with 5 sections, each labeled P R S T V,
then put the names J K L M N O below the entree labels and in the corresponding section).
Is this still acceptable, or should I diagram it as a table as mentioned above?
I am going through the Logic Games bible, but to further get an idea,
how would I know how to diagram such games in the future (e.g., as a t-chart or actually draw the situation, that is, table)?

Many thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
NAO2,

The "t-chart" you are describing is not ideal because you are assigning people to dishes instead of dishes to people.

The first thing you should do after reading through the setup and rules is to ask yourself what variables have the greatest sense of order. Here, it is the people because they remain constant in couples. Dishes are assigned to people, and since there are only 5 dishes, at least one of the dishes gets assigned multiple times.

Here is a basic setup for your to reference. I can't find double not arrows in my word processor, sorry.
Fish Game.png
 ahhannah
|
would it be recommended to set this game up vertically M:
with the couples lining up with each other like so: J L N

W:
K M O

Or horizontally with each couple next to each other: J K | L M | N O |

I used the horizontal setup, and got almost all of the questions correct, but then I watched a video from another company of the setup and they used a vertical setup
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ahhannah!

In general, it doesn't really matter whether you setup your games horizontally or vertically. Just make sure that you diagram your rules to match whichever way you choose to set up your base. I would have also set this game up with a horizontal base. Does that mean a horizontal setup is any better than a vertical setup? Nope! Horizontal setups just tend to be my personal preference. The most important thing is that your game setup makes sense to you. So if your instinct was to use a horizontal setup for this game, then a horizontal setup for this game is what I would recommend to you!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 Nsaramouni
|
Hello,

Is there an (updated/relevant) explanation for this game setup anywhere? I am quite confused by it and I am hoping to get some clarity on how best to set up the game and what (if any) inferences actually exist :)
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nsaramouni!

I've included two setups below--one with the game setup horizontally, one with the game setup vertically. Either setup works well! The vertical setup makes it a little easier to show the second rule (none of the men orders the same kind of entree as the other men) right on the diagram. But it's easy enough to just have that rule off to the side. I added f subscripts to S and T to show that they are fish, since there is a rule that J and N do not order fish entrees. There are a couple of inferences to make: since M orders S, L cannot order S; since O orders R, N cannot order R. That only leaves P and V left as options for N. This last inference becomes especially important throughout the game--always pay attention to whether N is ordering P or V!
Entrees.png
Let us know if you have any specific questions about how to diagram the setup and inferences!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.