LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That notation can be read as saying "within these two spaces you will have 2 and either 3 or 1." That's a handy way to notate when you don't know exactly which variable goes in which space, but you know what the options are. Here's a similar notation from a different game:

(Z-U, X)

This would mean that within the three spaces over which this was drawn you must have Z somewhere before U and also X. That would allow three possible orders:

ZUX
ZXU
XZU

Try this when you are unsure about specific placement of certain variables but you know that within a fixed range of spaces there are limited choices available.
 akreimerman1
|
Thank you Adam! I appreciate it!
 JazzyB87
|
Hi! For this question I don't understand how 5th, 6th and 7th can be in a numerical order. For reference this is my setup:
AM: __ 4th __ 7th X
PM: 8th __ X __ __
MON_________FRI
Is my set up wrong? How can they possibly be numerical? And how can you get 4 different schedules?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Putting them in numerical order just means that 5th is before 6th, and 6th is before 7th. It doesn't mean they have to be back-to-back, and in fact that can't happen because nothing is happening on Wednesday afternoon. This sequence will work, however, if and only if 5th is Tuesday afternoon and 6th is Wednesday morning.

Once you place those streets in those places, three streets remain unplaced - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - and they have only three places to go - Monday Morning, Thursday Afternoon, and Friday Afternoon. So here are the 4 possible schedules:

Monday Morning: 1st
Thursday Afternoon: 2nd
Friday Afternoon: 3rd

Monday Morning: 1st
Thursday Afternoon: 3rd
Friday Afternoon: 2nd

Monday Morning: 3rd
Thursday Afternoon: 2nd
Friday Afternoon: 1st

Monday Morning: 3rd
Thursday Afternoon: 1st
Friday Afternoon: 2nd
 JazzyB87
|
Thank you! That makes sense now.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.