LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=7371)

The correct answer choice is (E)

If John receives a higher grade in physics than in economics, and a higher grade in history than Italian, the following sequence results:
J92_Game_#1_#4_diagram 1.png
The sequence above includes five courses, and due to the nature of the sequence, all five courses much have a different grade. Thus, each of the five courses above must be assigned from A to E. The only remaining course, Russian, has to be assigned to a grade consecutive with Italian, and since Italian is assigned to E, Russian must be assigned to D. Accordingly, all six courses are determined:
J92_Game_#1_#4_diagram 2.png
Consequently, answer choice (E) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 hope
|
Okay so I realize we are in LSAC's world and not our own or the real world, but it seems to me that the test makers could make things a little bit more clear. In this problem, why should I assume that E--H?

For me, the question reads (without making assumptions) that E and H are separate like in a pure sequencing configuration. From my interpretation E is not necessarily higher than H. In a sequencing configuration, E and H could have the same grade with only I and R having a lesser grade than H but not necessarily a lesser grade than E.

Help again as always! :x
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hope!

It's not an assumption that E is a higher grade than H--rule #3 reads: "He receives a higher grade in economics than in history."

Remember that those initial rules apply to each and every question in the game! We have to combine the local rule introduced in the question with the global rules listed at the start of the game in order to answer the question.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 hope
|
OOPS! FORGOT THAT RULE. THANKS SO MUCH KELSEY. 8-)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.