LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=7371)

The correct answer choice is (E)

The rules in the question stem set up the following sequence:
J92_Game_#1_#3_diagram 1.png
Take a moment to examine the sequence. Because of the way the variables are linked, we need at least five separate grades for the five courses in the sequence (one for G, a different one for P, a different one for E, a different one for R, and a different one for I). Of course, we only have a total of five separate grades and thus each of the five courses in the sequence must be assigned to a different grade. Hence, geology, which has the highest grade, must be an A, physics must be a B, and economics must be a C. Italian and Russian are the D and E grades, but not necessarily in that order.

The question stem asks us to provide a piece of information that will allow us to determine the grades for each of the six courses. Geology, physics, and economics are all assigned by the sequence above. Thus, only history, Italian, and Russian are yet to be determined. Because history is the only grade not in the sequence, we need an answer that includes history. And, because Italian and Russian have yet to be fully determined, we need an answer that will also allow us to determine the placement of Italian and Russian. Looking at the answer choices, only answer choices (C), (D), and (E) connect history to either Italian or Russian. One of these three answers is thus much more likely to be correct than answer choice (A) or (B), which only address part of what we need.

Answer choices (C) and (D) both fail to indicate whether history is a D or E and thus they do not determine all of the grades. In answer choice (C), history and Italian could both be assigned to D, or both could be assigned to E. Similarly, in answer choice (D), history and Russian could both be assigned to D, or both could be assigned to E. Both answers are functionally identical, and on the LSAT functionally identical answer choices are always incorrect (remember, the correct answer to an LSAT question is always unique; thus, if two answers are basically identical, neither can be correct, and they must both be incorrect).

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer. If the history grade is higher than the Russian grade, then history must be a D, Russian must then be an E, and Italian must be a D. Thus, all six grades are determined by answer choice (E).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Sneev
|
Hi there,
I have a couple of questions about this game. I understand the set-up and the accordion principle as described in this forum.
I'm curious to know how the word "determined" should be interpreted (questions #3 and #4). This is especially troublesome for me on question 4, but perhaps it is because I haven't yet encountered this question type.
Also, in questions 3 & 4, are you simply trying to set up hypotheticals?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sneev,

In questions 3 and 4 when the prompt asks "which of the following allows all six of his grades to be determined" or "how many of his grades can be determined," the question is asking for which courses can we know (for sure) what grade John received. So, for example, John's grade in Russian is "determined" if we can say with 100% certainty that he got a D.

Questions 3 and 4 are question types that add new rules. These are common question types in the Games section; you will definitely encounter them again. When a question gives you a new rule, apply that new rule for that question only as if it were just like the rules given in the setup.

To avoid mixing up a rule that applies only to Question 3, be sure to create a separate diagram next to Question 3 so you don't mistakenly think the new rule in Question 3 is part of your master diagram.

Then move on to Question 4, forgetting the "new rule" from Question 3.

Good luck studying!
 Sneev
|
Super helpful--got them! Thanks!
 abrowngirl
|
Hi, is there a reason why H is not included in the sequence? Since one of the original rules states that his economics grade is higher than his history grade, I diagrammed the problem as
E8A8ADD4-8CC6-4B05-9A87-56D6DD30BC07.jpeg

Is there any reason why this is incorrect? Or is it just that it adds no valuable information.

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
abrowngirl,

You are correct that since E-H is a constant rule of the game, you could incorporate that into your diagram for this question. Then, you will realize that since everything is accounted for except for the exact placement of H, I, and R, the right answer will resolve those three variables. It isn't necessary to use your diagram, since you end up looking for the same thing, but I think it does help make your goal clearer more easily, so it's good you thought to incorporate H.
 cheyennecurley5@gmail.com
|
Hi I have a question about the basic rules of the game. When the game says “two letter grades are consecutive if and only if they adjacent in the alphabet.” Does that mean Italian and Russian, which are consecutive must be next to each other but can’t have the same letter grade? Because if they could have the same letter grade then the answer E wouldn’t be sufficient because it would also need to indicate Italian’s relation to history or Russian. Thank you!
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cheyennecurley5!

You're correct! Since Italian and Russian (per rule 2) have consecutive grades, we know that they must be next to each other in a block and cannot have the same letter grade. This is because of the phrase you mentioned from the game setup regarding the definition of consecutive! Basically, that sentence tells us that letter grades such as A+ or B- do not exist, so grades that are consecutive are grades such as A & B, B & C, etc.

For more information on the set up, feel free to check out this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=435&t=7371.

I hope this helps :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.