LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"Either" in this case means "both," pbui5300. It's not a case of being higher than either one OR the other. This is what may sometimes be called the "distributive" form of the word "either," which means that it applies to both things being discussed. This is often the right interpretation when the two things being indicated form some sort of natural pair, like these:

"There are chairs placed at either end of the table." (Chairs are in both places)

"She is taller than either of her parents." (she is the tallest of the three of them; she is taller than both)

"I deserve a bigger raise than either of my co-workers." (I deserve more than both of them)

In this case, "either of the languages" is a natural pair of things, and thus the proper interpretation is that the grade in G is higher than I and also higher than R.

English is slippery sometimes! "Either" usually implies one or the other, but sometimes it means both!
 pbui5300
|
Thanks Adam! The examples you provided cleared up the confusion.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.