LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11009)

The correct answer choice is (A)

Because M received the fewest votes, it can be deduced that M’s exact rank is seventh. However, it is impossible to deduce the exact ranks of any of the other six names without additional information. Therefore one is the total number of the soft drink names whose exact ranks can be deduced, and answer choice (A) is correct.
 Kims1737
|
But since we know definitively O comes before K and K before M, can't we also say we know those rankings as well, for a total of 3? P, O and K?? What am I missing since O, K and M seemed like solid rules to me.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kims!

We know that O and K are both somewhere before M, but that doesn't mean they have to be immediately before M. We don't know where O and K are relative to N. N could be before O and K, between O and K, or after O and K. We don't have any rules that give us a connection between N and O/K so we cannot know specifically which positions O and K can be in. O could be 4th or 5th, K could be 5th or 6th.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 cgleeson
|
Hi,
Hope everyone is well. I really got confused on this question stem...in my own words "how many spots can be deduced" I counted what was consecutive (which was 5 in my view). I was moving at a pretty good clip until this question stem came along. Are there any resources I can use to help me with this? I am currently listening to the PowerScore Flaws podcast (#'s 24, 26, & 27) to help me with my LR. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Chris 8-)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Words like "exact" are crucial, cgleeson. While you might know the relative ranking of many of these variables, you can only determine the "exact" rank of one of them. M is ranked last, and that's all we can say is "exact" in the rankings. The rest are all still uncertain, and so we do not know exactly where they go. Pay careful attention to that concept of exactness, as well as to any questions about "at least," "at most," etc.
 cgleeson
|
Thank you Adam! 8-)
Adam Tyson wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:06 am Words like "exact" are crucial, cgleeson. While you might know the relative ranking of many of these variables, you can only determine the "exact" rank of one of them. M is ranked last, and that's all we can say is "exact" in the rankings. The rest are all still uncertain, and so we do not know exactly where they go. Pay careful attention to that concept of exactness, as well as to any questions about "at least," "at most," etc.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.