LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Unbalanced, Underfunded, Numerical Distributions game.

The game scenario establishes that four destinations will each be visited at least once in the
course of seven consecutive weeks:
june07_game_3_diagram_1.png
This creates a Basic Linear diagram, and because there are only four variables for seven
positions, this is an Unbalanced, Underfunded game. Each variable must appear at least once, but
– with only four variables to fill out seven positions – some variables will inevitably appear more
than once. Without analyzing any of the rules, the following distributions of weeks to destinations
appear to be possible:
june07_game_3_diagram_2.png
As we do not yet know how many times each destination will be visited, the three distributions
above are Unfixed.

With the basic structure in place, let us now turn to the rules.

The first rule establishes a J Not Law in the fourth position:
june07_game_3_diagram_3.png
The second rule tells us that T must be visited seventh:
june07_game_3_diagram_4.png
The third rule stipulates that M must be visited exactly twice, with at least one visit to G in
between:
june07_game_3_diagram_5.png
Unfortunately, we cannot use this rule to determine any Not Laws, because G can be visited more
than once. However, since M must be visited exactly twice, the rule helps us dismiss the 4-1-1-1
distribution, which does not account for any destination being visited twice. We can also
determine that M is the destination visited twice in each of the other two distributions:
june07_game_3_diagram_6.png
The fourth rule deserves a closer look. We are told that any visit to J requires visiting G
immediately before J. The rule does not generate a simple GJ Block, because G could be visited
whether or not J is visited afterwards. As suggested by the sufficient condition indicator “any,”
the GJ Block is conditional upon visiting J. It is J, not G, that triggers the block:
june07_game_3_diagram_7.png
This rule clearly precludes J from being visited first, generating a second J Not Law:
june07_game_3_diagram_8.png
The fourth rule also has numerical implications. Since visiting J is conditional upon visiting G,
there must be at least as many visits to G as there are visits to J. One implication of that inference
is that, in the 3-2-1-1 distribution, J cannot be the destination visited three times. And, since M
must be visited twice, we can infer that, in that distribution, J must be the destination visited once:
june07_game_3_diagram_9.png
The same line of reasoning applies to the 2-2-2-1 distribution. If there are at least as many visits
to G as there are visits to J, it follows that G cannot be visited only once. This is because visiting
G only once would force all other destinations – including J – to be visited twice. But, as we
already know, J cannot be visited twice unless G is visited at least as many times as J. Therefore,
in the 2-2-2-1 distribution, G cannot be visited once, and must therefore be visited twice:
june07_game_3_diagram_10.png
The fifth and last rule prohibits visiting the same destination in two consecutive weeks,
establishing four Not Blocks:
june07_game_3_diagram_11.png
Alternatively, you can represent this rule as a single Not Block, where D stands for “Destination”:
june07_game_3_diagram_12.png
From combining the second and fifth rules, we can infer that T cannot be visited sixth:
june07_game_3_diagram_13.png
At this point, each of the rules has been represented, and appropriate Not Laws drawn.
Thus, we arrive at the final setup for this game:
june07_game_3_diagram_14.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 saranash1
|
How was this game set up and the rules diagramed?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sara,

Thanks for your response. As you probably know, this is a basic linear game; it would be helpful for you to provide your diagram, and we can confirm its accuracy and make any necessary suggestions.

Thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
g <____J
M g M ( didn't know how to show that it goes somewhere in between M but doesn't have to go immediately after and before m
M :arrow: 2x

GJMT 4

_ _ _ M/t/g _ G/J/m T
no J No T
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sara,

Thanks for your response. That looks good to me, although I would diagram the rule about Jamaica as a conditional:

Any voyage to J will be immediately preceded by G:

J :arrow: GJ

In other words, if the boat goes to J, it will be as part of the GJ block.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
Yes that helps!

does M G M show that it goes somewhere in between M but doesn't have to go immediately after and before m because it doesn't have a block around it?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, that's right--as long as you understand what's relayed, I think the way you diagrammed that one was good.

I hope that's helpful!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
thanks!
 KG!
|
"Guadeloupe will be its destination in the week preceding any voyage it makes to Jamaica." To me the rule would be
J :arrow: G :longline: J. What makes it the case that preceding means immediately. I know this may be a silly question, but I originally thought that and so now I'm worried for future LG questions. Should I take preceding to always mean immediately before in the LSAT world? To me, I was just thinking it means to come prior/before something.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's not the word "preceding" that matters here, KG! It's "the week" rather than "a week" that puts that G immediately before the J. "The week" is exact, whereas "a week" or "some week" would be inexact and would lead to the diagram you created. Think of a similar idea: "the day before," as in "I completed the project the day before it was due." That means if the project was due on Tuesday, I finished on Monday, and not over the weekend or the previous Friday, etc.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.