LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Mapping - Spatial Relations Game.

The five rules in the game produce the following map of the subway connections:

PT18-Dec 1992 LG Explanations game 3 setup diagram 1.png
Note that your map of the connections does not have to appear exactly as above. Your map could have R on the bottom and S and U on the top, for example. The only things that must be emulated are the exact connections above.

Note also that the lines connecting each station do not have arrows because travel goes in either direction on a line. Additionally, there is no concern over L3 and L5 “crossing” above as there is no rule prohibiting the lines from crossing (this element is something you must always track in Mapping games).

Intermediate stops are any stops between two points. For example, a traveler going from Urstine to French taking the shortest route on L1 would make an intermediate stop at Semplain.

With the map above, and a clear understanding of how the connections operate, we are ready to attack the questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 BrettKobes
|
How do you diagram this problem? I made a map with lines connecting all the train stations, and I got all the answers correct accept question 14. There must be a different way to diagram using conditions, but I can't do it. Can you help?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Brett,

This is a classic Mapping game, so the best diagram is indeed a map of the stations and connections. Line 1 is a loop, so that's kind of the "base" for the game, and then each of the other lines can be diagrammed based off that loop. It creates a compact, efficient diagram that makes the game pretty straightforward.

You can diagram the game with the lines drawn separately, but I think that makes it much harder to solve since you have to then list out individual stations multiple times.

So, the good news is that you did the best possible way. Congrats!
 BrettKobes
|
sweet, Thanks - that was my first mapping game
 sgrimsdale
|
Good morning,

I am hoping someone can explain to me why this game is balanced? I initially thought it was unbalanced, underfunded, based on the fact that there are three cities, and only two can be visited.

I was also initially confused about why it was described as fixed, but I think I understand that now. Although the two cities which will be visited are not fixed, the size of the two groups (3 and 2) ARE fixed- which is the cause of the fixed designation, correct?

My main issue with games is speed, and I think if I have a better understanding of how to identify them that this will help me move more quickly.

Thank you!

Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

The Balanced/Unbalanced category distinguishes grouping games in which all variables must be used (Balanced) from those in which some variables can be left out (Unbalanced Overloaded) or used more than once (Unbalanced Underfunded).

In the game you asked about, all five variables must be used amongst the two groups. Hence, the game is Balanced. The game would have been Unbalanced/Underfunded if, say, each city had to be visited by exactly two students, with each student visiting at least one city. In that case, the five variables would have had to fill in a combined total of six spaces. Does that make sense?

And yes, you are correct in that the game is Defined/Fixed, because we know the precise number of variables per group (3-2).

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Thanks!
 sgrimsdale
|
Thank you, that is helpful!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.