LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13756)

The correct answer choice is (D)

As we know from questions #1 and #4, assigning P and G into the second and fifth slots forces L and O into the second and third slots. Hence, answer choice (D) is correct.

This game is considered easy for two reasons: there are only three rules (and two of them perfectly link together), and many of the question reuse the same configuration where P and G are placed into 2-5. Because of these two factors, most students move through the questions quickly and with confidence.
 agreen
|
It seems that there are several places G could occupy and still "completely determine" the placement of O. Why is D correct? Couldn't O's position be equally determined if G were placed third or sixth? I'm lost on this one!
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi agreen!

The problem with placing G in either third or sixth (with P being in the other slot of those two) is that either location leaves the LO block with two different places to go. With G/P sharing the third and sixth places, the LO block could either fit in spots one and two OR spots four and five, with either leaving room for the news tape to follow.

The answer to this question would have to be one that "completely determines" where O must be played, so the only possible answer would be to place G into 5th (or, second, which isn't an option), which would force the LO block to be in spots three and four, cementing O into fourth.

Hope that helps!
 agreen
|
Oh geez, of course. Thank you!
 bella243
|
Could we also say that answer choices B-E and A-C are also two identical pairs and are thus wrong? Only D (fifth) doesn't have its mirror choice which should be second slot.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
B and E do form a mirrored pair, bella243, cancelling each other out, but A and C do not, because when G is 4th P could be 1st OR 7th. C is still a bad answer because the LO block has a few options, but not because it perfectly mirrors answer A. But that's a really good idea to look for that sort of result!
 Sydneymkim
|
Hi, i’m having a hard time understanding why D is the correct answer. I read the homework explanation and don’t understand it as I first thought maybe there was a typo with the homework explanation. could someone please walk me through Why D is correct?

When I plug G into slot 5, i know P has to be in slot 2 b/c there are two spaces in between them. I also know that L and O have to go in slot three and four respectively b/c if it were in 6 and 7, there would be no room left to put the news tape. Just like how i was able to determine where O went for answer choice D, I was just as able to find where O goes into with choices A, B and E. Am I perhaps understanding something wrong? Thanks in advance!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sydneymkim wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:31 pm Hi, i’m having a hard time understanding why D is the correct answer. I read the homework explanation and don’t understand it as I first thought maybe there was a typo with the homework explanation. could someone please walk me through Why D is correct?

When I plug G into slot 5, i know P has to be in slot 2 b/c there are two spaces in between them. I also know that L and O have to go in slot three and four respectively b/c if it were in 6 and 7, there would be no room left to put the news tape. Just like how i was able to determine where O went for answer choice D, I was just as able to find where O goes into with choices A, B and E. Am I perhaps understanding something wrong? Thanks in advance!
Hi Sydney,

I have moved your post to the thread discussing this game, and I have let an instructor know to respond. Thanks! :)
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sydney,

You are spot on with why (D) is correct, so I'll focus on why (A), (B), and (E) are incorrect.

(A) - If G is first, P has to be fourth. But then where does the LO block go? It could go in the 2/3 slots, but it could also go in the 5/6 slots.

(B) - If G is 3, P must be 6. So now LO could go in either the 1/2 slots or the 4/5 slots.

(E) - This is exactly the same as (B) but reversed. If G is 6 then P is 3. Now LO can go in either the 1/2 slots or the 4/5 slots.

In all these scenarios there are two possible places where O could go, but in (D) O has to go 4th no matter what.

Hope that helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.