LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.
F93_Game_#1_setup_diagram 1.png
This game, from the February 1993 LSAT, is one of the easiest LSAT games of the modern era. As we will see in the remainder of the explanations for this exam, some of the other games on this particular test were considerably harder.

Given that there are only three rules, which combine into two rule formations, you have to conclude that the key to the game comes from the interaction between the PG split-block and the LON block-sequence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 S_Hernandez52
|
Hello I had a question this Logic Game. In was hoping to get the main diagram to compare it to the one that I created. Furthermore, even though I got number 3 correct I wanted to make sure that the slots that the two letters can go is 1 and 7 and from there you have to fit in the split block and then the block and eventually N. The thing that I couldn't understand was question # 5. I got to answer B since I knew that the news tape the earliest it could go was slot 3 (from my diagram) hoping to get a clearer picture on how to attack this problem. Lastly, sorry for rambling on, but on #7 I wrote out hypotheticals and saw that when the split block is in slot 2 and 5 it forces [LO] to be in slot 3 and 4 did I get to the answer the correct way? Thank you
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi S,

Please see my diagram here. Notice that I combined the LO rule and the L :longline: N rule.

You're right about question 3, since 1 and 7 are the most separated slots on the board.

Question 5 is a lot like Question 3, since we want to maximize the space between S and N. But we don't have to make N go in the earliest slot possible; we can put it in the latest slot possible: 7. Then we can move S into its earliest possible slot, starting with slot 1 until we get a slot that works. It turns out that slot is slot 2.

For Question 7, you got the answer exactly the right way!

Hope this helps.
 S_Hernandez52
|
Thanks and Hello fellow Imgurian! Banana for scale!!
 Manny8371
|
I am confused as to why the order H S G L O P N does not work? :-?
 Steven Palmer
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Manny,

Is your question regarding a specific question? I don't see anything wrong with the order being H S G L O P N initially. The LO block is together, the N is after it, and G/P have two spaces between them. Everything looks okay, unless you're referencing a question that changes or adds to any of the rules?

Steven
 vwhitmore2
|
Hi,

I've got the same question that Manny had about question 7 for this set. I now see how the correct answer is D, that G being in the 5th slot will determine where O goes. I chose B since I can order HSGLOPN, which follows the rules and I don't think that the LO-N block can go anywhere else. Did I read the question wrong?

Vanessa
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Vanessa,

The thread for that question here should help: viewtopic.php?f=420&t=15696

Let us know in that thread if any questions remain about #7!

Robert Carroll
 g_lawyered
|
Hi P.S.
I read the PDF explanations posted for this game. Because there were only 3 rules to this game and a few Local Questions, I thought that was an indication that there were many inferences to make before going into the questions. I made the Not Laws inferences onto my diagram. However, I realized that the P/G __ ___ G/P block was powerful enough to make Limited Solutions set. I made a total of 4 Limited Solutions and it was somewhat helpful to me when answering the questions. Was this a smart move to make beforing starting the questions? The Powerscore explanations doesn't mention any Limited Solution Sets, which makes me second guess whether it was worth it. It's difficult for me to evaluate which games have Limited Solutions and which games don't. Especially if it's worth it enough to attempt this strategy on test day.
Thanks in advance

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.