LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=3673)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This question asks us to identify the maximum number of film showings that could occur during
the festival if L is never shown again after G is shown. Take a moment to understand precisely
what this means: we need to ensure that all showings of L precede any showing of G, whether or
not G and L are shown on different days or on the same day:
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... L — G
We can maximize the number of film showings in one of two ways: either by showing L on all
three days but G – only once (as the last film on Saturday), or else by showing G on all three days
but L – only once (as the first film on Tuesday). In either case, the film showings on Thursday
would be completely defined:
june07_game_2_#8_diagram_1.png
Since we are asked to maximize the number of film showings during the festival, we should also
add H to the films being shown on Friday. Note that H cannot be shown on Saturday in either
solution without violating the third rule, because G must be shown on Saturday:
june07_game_2_#8_diagram_2.png
No more than six films can be shown in either scenario, validating answer choice (D).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 saranash1
|
Section 1:
8. How do you determine the answer to this question?

If we look to number nine we have a set up that shows thursday- LGH friday- HG sat- G
l is never shown again after g and there are six showings that occur (which is the correct answer) Would i be able to determine that the answer is six based on the set up from number nine or is is possible that g could be placed on another day resulting in more/less showings if another set up made.
am i supposed to just draw out as many different ways that it could possibly work and then count the number of shows?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Well you could certainly use question 9 to construct a hypothetical where a maximum of 6 is possible under the restriction given in question 8 (as you show). The only consideration would be whether you could construct a scenario where a seventh show could occur, since answer (E) for question 8 offers that possibility.

Of course, if you worked through the numerical distribution limits at the beginning (hopefully you did), you'd see that 7 is the maximum number ever possible: a 3-2-2 max, such as LGH, then HG, then LH (for instance). But that requires all 3 on the first day and L on the third day, which can't happen for question 8, so that proves that D is correct here.

Hope that helps!
 saranash1
|
Yes this makes sense now! I completely forgot to do the numerical distributions! Thanks so much for the help!
 cbchica
|
Hi, I don't understand how E is the correct answer when the rules say that you can only play a film once a day?

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
D is actually the correct answer to this question, so your analysis is spot on. Good job!
 kliu49
|
Hello!

For this scenario:

L

G H

H G G

Why can't H be an option for Saturday, instead of G? I didn't understand the part where you maximized the number of G's. Why would having specifically three G's make a difference, as long as you max out the spaces? I'd appreciate someone's feedback!

Thanks!
 lilcohen
|
I think your scenario is certainly correct and also a proof of the max. 6 correct answer. Maximizing L and G to attack this question, just because they're dominating variables in this question. If you exhaust all possible scenarios, yours is definitely included. Just m2c ;-)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Agreed, lilcohen! The alternate solution offered by kliu49 is also viable. Good work, team!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.