LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=17376)

The correct answer choice is (D)

If F seats east of R, then an RF block is created, and the only placement for this block is in chairs 2 and 3. With R seated in chair 2, T must sit in chair 4, leaving J and H as the only two unplaced variables:
J93_Game_#3_#17_diagram 1.png
As I is seated in chair 5 and R is seated in chair 2, they cannot sit next to each other and answer choice (D) is correct.
 Anfernee9320
|
Hi,

I just want to clarify, "east of" is not considered a sequencing rule?

The second rule states, "No boy sits next to another boy"
The third rule states, "Ivan sits next to and east of the fourth child in the row"
The fourth rule states, "Sylvia sits east of Ivan.

If the second rule did not exist, would the fourth rule still be considered a fixed position rule? Or would that rule be considered a sequencing rule?

Moreover, in the third rule, I know "next to" is considered a fixed position rule and I thought "east of" would be considered a sequencing rule until I saw how it was diagrammed above. Was it diagrammed that way due to the inferences made regarding S? I just wanted to ensure I was understanding the verbiage correctly.

Thank you in advance for the assistance!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Anfernee,

"East of" is a sequencing rule. It's the combination of rules and inferences that gives you that the only way Sylvia can be east of Ivan is to be right next to him. The rule is sequencing. The inferences give you that nowhere else will work but right next to Ivan.

This comes from the initial inferences, which are discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=17376

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.