LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10632)

The correct answer choice is (D)

Similar to answer choice (D) in the previous question, Thursday plays the key role. If Z is placed on Thursday, the two-on-one-day rule is fulfilled. This forces K, O, and H to fill in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in some order. Thus, U must go on Friday, and answer choice (D) is correct.
 rameday
|
I had a really tough time with this question as well. I read the answer in the back of the book but I still don't understand how they went about getting the right answer.

A
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rameday,

The answer in the book is as good as it gets in terms of a general explanation. I would love to help you further. Could you please tell me what you thought the correct answer choice should be and how you got there? Then, I can do more than just regurgitate our book's answer, and instead give you some personalized help.

Thanks,

Ron
 rameday
|
I went and did this question again and now it makes perfect sense to me. I realized that I was letting the fact that I couldn't figure out exactly where O/k had to be distract me to the fact that regardless of where they were Z was always in the same spot.

I think sometimes I get overly preoccupied with filling in all the blanks for the game when i absolutely do not need to.

A
 dpatt27
|
I am confused on question #4 as to why scheduling Z's session on Wednesday wouldn't also fix U's session to Friday. My thought process is as follows:

If Z is Wednesday, H has to have a session prior to Z, which places it either Monday or Tuesday. Since Monday can only have one session and the OK/KO block has to be Monday/Tuesday in some order, H is fixed to Tuesday with either O or K with the other student (O or K) being Monday. This would make U's only available option Friday since it cannot go on Thursday without violating the rule of more than one day having two sessions.

Am I missing something in my thought process of how U could fit into a different day?

Thank you!
-David
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey David,

Thanks for the question! This can be a tough one, and the problem you ran into here was with the placement of the OK block. You placed it prior to Z, but that does not have to be the case, which then opens up U to not be on Friday. For example, the following hypothetical pushes the OK block behind Z, resulting in U on Tuesday:

..... ..... ..... H - U - Z - IK - O

In that scenario U is on Tuesday, and if you switched H and U, it could be on Monday too. Thus, when Z is on Wednesday, there are several options for U, which violates the condition of the question stem.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 jvirk
|
Hello, I am stuck between answer choice B (Tuesday) and answer choice D (Thursday) on question #4. I understand why answer choice D is correct, but why is answer choice B incorrect?

Thank you!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jvirk,

Thanks for the question! B is a very tempting answer for this question. If Z is on Tuesday, we know I is Thursday, H will be either Monday or earlier Tuesday than Z. And we need to keep the KO/OK block on subsequent days. Here are two different possibilities:
Monday: H
Tuesday: Z, K
Wednesday: O
Thursday: I
Friday: U

Monday: H
Tuesday: Z
Wednesday: U
Thursday: I, O
Friday: K

Because U could be on more than one day with Z on Tuesday, B can't be the correct answer.

Hope that helps!
 jvirk
|
Thank you for the help! I hadn’t considered the latter possibility, which is why I was stuck between the two options.
 menkenj
|
Wow this question took me twice as long because I read it backwards and was trying to find the placement of U that would fix Z. A lesson to pay attention to the question stem.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.