LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=9342)

The correct answer choice is (B)

If O is selected for the first Sunday, according to the sequencing rule involving J, J cannot be selected, and answer choice (A) is incorrect. Since J cannot be selected, the grouping restrictions come into play and H and K must be selected to represent Giuliani. Answer choice (B) is thus correct.
 JocelynL
|
Hello,
Why is E incorrect in this one? I was so sure of X based on the last conditional rule.
thanks,
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jocelyn,

I think you may have flipped the conditional around.

The last rule says that X can't play on the 5th Sunday unless one of R's is on the first Sunday. We want to use our unless equation to diagram that out. We put the term unless modifies as necessary, and negate the other term as the sufficient. Here it would look like this:

X 5th Sunday :arrow: R's on 1st Sunday.

In this local question, we know that one of R's is on the first Sunday. But we can't draw any conclusion from that. We still have no information about X because we can't go backwards on that arrow.

Hope that helps!
 rnd2021
|
I am still a little confused. I was able to narrow down the answer choices to B and E. My logic was that M must be out because of the contrapositive of the 2nd rule. J must be out because of the 4th rule. Following that, N must also be out because of the 1st rule ( I think this is where I went wrong?). Therefore, all other variables must be selected (h,k,o,p,x,y,z) I understand with this, I would be breaking the grouping rules having x,y, and z all perform. But, with my logic, both k and x must be selected. Could someone please explain where I went wrong? Thank you in advance.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You did great up to a certain point, rnd2021, and despite your concerns you made a correct inference that when J is out, N is out, forcing P to be the other Rodrigo in the group along with O. Where you went wrong was with the numbers - you have listed 7 variables, but this game only involves selecting 6 of them! With P in, X must be out per the contrapositive of the third rule, so the group must be HKOPYX, and of those, only K is in the answer choices.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.