LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1838)

The correct answer choice is (E)

In this question, “learn” cannot be the second word in the sentence since it would take more than one operation to transform “clean” into “learn.” Therefore, answer choices (A) and (D) can be eliminated. The following hypothetical, however, proves that “learn” could be the third word in the sentence:

G3-Q17-d1.png

Answer choice (C) can be eliminated since it does not contain “third” in its list of potential positions for “learn.”

The following hypothetical proves that “learn” could also be the fourth word in the sentence:

G3-Q17-d2.png

Answer choice (B) can be eliminated since it does not contain “fourth” in its list of potential positions for “learn.” Answer choice (E) is thus proven correct by process of elimination.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 icastillo0221@gmail.com
|
:-?
Can anyone explain me this twisted tongue question possibilities for (E).
I only get the how to the third position...Need help with creativity :-? ...

1 word: CLEAN, 2 word LEAN, 3 word LEARN

Maybe I need a dictionary... :lol:
 icastillo0221@gmail.com
|
5TH POSITION
1-CLEAN 2- LEAN 3- DEAN 4- DEARN 5- LEARN

4TH POSITION
1-CLEAN 2- CLEAR 3- LEAR 4-LEARN

3TH POSITION
1-CLEAN 2- LEAN 3-LEARN

I kept playing with the rules to see a new pattern but definitely the "dictionary" and "family" solve the question. I really would like to hear from one of the Powerscore instructors about how to solve this one if LSAT only "expect" that I have "common" knowledge. What did I miss? :cry:

I am adding scrabble game to my list of hobbies... :-D
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

So, one of the things to remember about this game is that you don't need to actually use real words. You could also use "non-sensical" words, so the scrabble skills, aside from the fact that I don't think a game like this has ever occurred again (since 1994), are not necessary! However, you laid out the possible solutions in your answer, and as you can see from those solutions, essentially you are asking the question, "is it possible for "Learn" to occur in this spot?" With this spot being either two, three, four or five, starting from the clean and using the rules, stated in the global rule list. So, you begin with spot two, and you see that there is no way to transform "clean" into "learn" using only the functions provided. But why? Well, "clean" into "learn" requires both dropping the "C" and adding the "R," therefore using two of the functions provided in the rules. Thus, it requires a minimum of two successive functional operations, and thus can go at minimum in spot three. Now, it can also go in spots four and five, and you can observe by observing the fact that there are a myriad amount of 'intermediate' words (real or otherwise) in between clean and learn (cleaan, cleabn... etc) that one can use as filler words, before (or after in the case of blearn, alearn, dlearn) performing one of the essential functions (note you can't perform them both prior to using the filler word!).

Let me know if you have further questions on this.
 icastillo0221@gmail.com
|
Excellent!
I just realized that the first question provides a correct sentence that is non-sensical! Guess that the trick was that the remaining questions are made with real words and I got stock with that.

Thank you so much for your explanation and reassurance. :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.