LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1838)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This is a tricky question, and you must remember that at most three of the five words can begin with the same letter as one another. If the first word of a sentence in the word game begins with the letter “z”, then all five of the words in that sentence would have to begin with the letter “z” since all of the words in any sentence in the word game must appear in alphabetical order. Therefore, it follows that the first word of a sentence in the word game cannot begin with the letter “z”, and consequently, answer choice (E) can be eliminated. The following hypothetical, however, proves that the first word of a sentence in the word game could begin with the letter “y”:

G3-Q14-d1.png

In this hypothetical all five of the words are in alphabetical order, and only three of the five words begin with the letter “z”. Since “y” appears later in the alphabet than all other letters except “z”, it follows that “y” is the last letter of the alphabet which the first word of a sentence in the word game can begin. Therefore, answer choice (D) is correct.

If you chose answer choice (C), do not feel bad. This is a tough question and the natural inclination is to step back two letters to “x,” not just one letter to “y.” This was, by far, the most commonly chosen incorrect answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 kupwarriors9
|
Can someone please explain why 'Y' is correct? At first I thought it was Y, but I couldn't come up with enough words to feel confident enough. For example, I started doing yearn year bear -- but then I realized all my other words would be higher than 'Y' and out of alphabetical order.

Thanks,
KW9
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
KW9,

Coming up with real words won't be necessary (thankfully! the LSAT isn't supposed to be a vocabulary test). Note that the scenario says that "words" can be "real or nonsensical". So the following five-"word"
"sentence" would be acceptable, in order:

yabcd ybcd ybcde zbcde zcde

That's a sentence, according to this game! So don't stress thinking of actual words.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.