LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Linear: Pattern: Identify the Possibilities game.

This can be a very challenging game. The first line of the scenario establishes the key information that the apprentices are initially assigned to separate projects. T leads to a decision moment: there is a choice between using the variable set QRST as the base or using variable set LMNO as the base. QRST is the better choice as the base because two of the three rules focus on that variable set. Also, a quick glance at questions #22 and #23 indicates that LSAC uses QRST as the base in their answer choices. Answering the questions is always easier if you are looking at the test in the same way that the test makers are looking at the test.

The key is that exactly two reassignments will be made each year. Each of these reassignments uses one of three plans, and no plan can be used twice. Thus, with only three plans, only six possible arrangements of the three plans are possible:

..... ..... ..... ..... 1. Plan 1, then Plan 2
..... ..... ..... ..... 2. Plan 1, then Plan 3

..... ..... ..... ..... 3. Plan 2, then Plan 1
..... ..... ..... ..... 4. Plan 2, then Plan 3

..... ..... ..... ..... 5. Plan 3, then Plan 1
..... ..... ..... ..... 6. Plan 3, then Plan 2

The key to destroying this game is to take these six outcomes and use them to Identify the Possibilities:

J94_Game_#4_setup_diagram 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 ofa.aretha
|
How is this game diagrammed? What is the key? How do I handle the plans that switch?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Aretha,

This game has only six solutions, so the best diagram is to show those solutions. The limitations of the forum preclude me from properly being able to show those diagrams, but the six solutions are:

..... 1. Plan 1, then Plan 2
..... 2. Plan 1, then Plan 3

..... 3. Plan 2, then Plan 1
..... 4. Plan 2, then Plan 3

..... 5. Plan 3, then Plan 1
..... 6. Plan 3, then Plan 2

That should get you started on this one. Thanks!
 theonerd
|
Hi,

For context: I've averaged about 170 on my last five PrepTests, and Logic Games are typically a strong section for me.

I rarely get totally stumped, but PrepTest 11, June 1994, Section 1, Game #4 is the hardest game I've encountered in a long time.

I know it is a pattern game, but I am unclear on how it wants me to apply each of the three plans. I think I understand each plan just fine, but I don't understand how the instructions want me to use each plan to find the patterns.

Can you put the instructions into plain English for me?
How many patterns should I end up with?

Thanks
Nate
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nate,

I agree that this is a difficult game. It's one of those games that you read the first time and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

One of the keys is realizing that they give the initial assignments of apprentices to projects (because if you miss that, this game is impossible). From that starting point, two reassignments will be made. A key limiting factor here is that the two reassignments must be different plans. So, let's say that the first reassignment is made according to Plan 1. The second reassignment must then be made according to Plan 2 or Plan 3. Thus, with only three plans, and no re-use of a plan, only six possible arrangements of the three plans are possible:

..... ..... ..... ..... 1. Plan 1, then Plan 2
..... ..... ..... ..... 2. Plan 1, then Plan 3

..... ..... ..... ..... 3. Plan 2, then Plan 1
..... ..... ..... ..... 4. Plan 2, then Plan 3

..... ..... ..... ..... 5. Plan 3, then Plan 1
..... ..... ..... ..... 6. Plan 3, then Plan 2

If you draw out those six solutions, this game becomes a lot easier to navigate.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 theonerd
|
Thanks, Dave!
I nailed it after reading your explanation!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.