LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Pattern game.

This game from December 1994 was repeated as the third game of the February 1997 LSAT. The repeat version featured a train making five trips around a circle containing stops P, Q, R, S, and T. On each trip the train stopped at exactly three of the five stops. No stop could be repeated three trips in a row, and each stop had to be visited at least once in any two-trip period.

Let’s first examine the participation of the clans and the overall cycle. Each cycle ends when each of the five clans has participated exactly three times each, so there are a total of fifteen participations during the life of the cycle. Because there are only three participations each year, a cycle must last for exactly five years (this is the correct answer to question #20). This can be diagrammed as:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd1.png

Determining the length of the cycle effectively makes the third rule “dead” (meaning it has been appropriately captured and no longer needs to be considered actively in each question). The fourth rule is captured by understanding that each clan must be used three times within each cycle:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd2.png

Those fifteen clan participations make up each cycle, and once identified are easy to understand and represent.

Now that the basic setup is established, we move to the most difficult part of the game. With the third and fourth rules under control, only the first and second rules require constant monitoring in this game. But, as in most Pattern games, these two rules do not address any specific variables, but instead address the global behavior of all variables. As is often the case in Pattern games, there is a broad-based pattern that controls the variables in a predictable way. Let’s look at the two rules more closely and see if we can deduce the pattern.

The first rule establishes that each clan participates at least once in any two consecutive years (italics added for emphasis). The “any two consecutive years” is the most critical part. That means each clan has to participate at least once in years 1-2, at least once in years 2-3, at least once in years 3-4, and at least once in years 4-5. That is an extremely restrictive rule and it dramatically affects how the clans are used. For example, let’s assume that clans N, O, and P participate in the first year:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd3.png

With the first year filled, for Q and R to comply with the first rule they must participate in the second year:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd4.png

The third clan in the second year would then be one of N, O, or P. Let’s say that N was the clan participating in the second year. If that’s the case, then from the action of the second rule, N could not participate in the third year:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd5.png

Let’s take a moment to review how N stands in respect to the first rule :

N participates twice in years 1-2.
     N participates once in years 2-3.
     Currently, N does not participate in years 3-4. Thus, because N cannot participate in the third year, N must participate in the fourth year:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd6.png

With N participating in the fourth year, N participates once in years 3-4 and years 4-5.

Thus, N participates a total of three times, and conforms to both the first and second rules.

Note that N now participates in years 1-2-4. O and P, the other two clans that participated in the first year, would have to participate in the third year (establishing both with a 1-3 start to the cycle). This reveals an interesting fact: for the three clans who participate in the first year, one of the three participates in the second year (1-2) and the other two participate in the third year (1-3). This is the start of the pattern, and as you might expect, if the cycle starts with a pattern, it ends with one too.

We could continue to show how the variables work to construct the entire pattern, but we recommend that you play with some of the options and watch how the patterns form. What you will ultimately find is that the rules produce a pattern where each cycle contains five distinct participation sequences. Each clan must fit one of the five sequences, and each cycle must contain all five of the sequences. The five sequences are:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G4_srd7.png

In our example, N fit the 1-2-4 sequence, and one of O and P would fit the 1-3-4 sequence and the other would fit the 1-3-5 sequence.

But, what if you can’t determine the pattern during the setup? Admittedly, the patterns above are difficult to deduce during the game. Pattern game setups typically contain minimal information, and if you do not see the patterns for this game (or any Pattern game) during the setup, move to the following two types of questions first:

1. List questions

List questions allow you to work with pre-made solutions and to simply use the rules to eliminate answer choices. Deriving the correct answer gives      you a hypothetical that adds to your overall game knowledge. In this game questions #18 and #24 are List questions.

2. Questions with the greatest amount of local information

These questions give you the best chance to work directly with the variables while still solving questions, and hopefully working with the questions      will give you a better sense of what is occurring in the game on a global level. In this game, then, to apply that approach you would begin with      questions #22, #23, or #24 and use the hypotheticals produced by those questions to gain an understanding of how the rules interact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 nadiaguo
|
How would you set up this game ?

I did

1st year _ _ _
2nd year_ _ _
6th year _ _ _

because I deduced that it would take 6 years to complete a cycle. Is this correct?

I also wasn't really sure how to diagram the rules..
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Nadia,

That's the Clan game, correct? Take a look at that again because it is a 5 year cycle, not 6 (5 clans x 3 participations each). So it looks like:

1st year _ _ _
2nd year_ _ _
3rd year _ _ _
4th year_ _ _
5th year _ _ _

The key rules are the "once every two years" and the "no three in a row" rules. Regardless, it is a tough Pattern game.

Let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 jared.xu
|
Hey Dave,

I hope you don't mind me asking another question about this game on this blog. I actually just listened to Jon Denning's virtual module on Pattern Games I, which features this game. And I understand how we would come up with the five possible placements for each clan. But I have a question regarding how we would know that each clan must follow each of the five distinct patterns only once. For instance, if N follows 1-3-5, O must not follow that pattern again. Of course, we could take the time to draw out a hypothetical to see that it does not work. But is there some clue that would tell us that each one of the five possibilities must be used by one of the clans, that they are not mere "possibilities" but each a pattern that must be carried out by one of the clans? I am asking this because questions 19 and 21 seem to require us to notice this fact. I was somewhat surprise when Jon solved the two questions assuming that we already know this fact. Thank you in advance for replying.

Jared
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Jared - thanks for the question. The answer to it is simply that the mathematics of the distribution--where each of the five years has three clans, and each of the five clans is used exactly three times--require you to have five unique patterns/orders.

Consider them:

1-3-5
1-3-4
1-2-4
2-3-5
2-4-5

Now think what would happen if you took one of the non 1-3-5 orders, say 1-3-4, and made it into another 1-3-5: only two clans would be in the fourth year (1-2-4 and 2-4-5), and four clans would now in the fifth year (1-3-5, 1-3-5, 2-3-5, 2-4-5). This violates the rules. The same is true of duplicating any of the other orders.

Or you could think of it this way. Imagine the three clans for year 1. How can those three be placed? One could go again in year 2, so it would have to be 1-2-4. And that's the set order for that clan. The other two must go year 3 (can't be more than two years apart), so 1-3-4 and 1-3-5. And those are the set orders for the other two. Why can't they both be 1-3-4? Because then you'd have finished with all the year 1 clans by year 4 (1-2-4, 1-3-4, 1-3-4), and only have two remaining clans for year 5. Since you need three clans for each year, two 1-3-4 orders won't work. And this mathematical logic applies to each of the clans/orders given.

I hope that helps!
 nadiaguo
|
Thanks, your response to my question helped a bunch.

Do you really need to know the patterns to solve this game? I feel like it just creates more confusion, as the questions the other guy mentioned can totally be solved just by using process of elimination
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that depends. They definitely help, but certainly you could get through the game without them by simply understanding the rules and restrictions that create the patterns. Would it take a little longer without recognizing the patterns? Probably. Are they absolutely necessary for completing the game? No, probably not.
 ValVal
|
Hey guys! Can anyone help me with the detailed set up for the game? I feel like I still missing some key inferences, and I cannot solve it, even using numerical distribution. Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The five patterns Jon set up earlier in this thread IS the detailed setup of this game, ValVal! That's one thing about pattern games that makes them such a pain in the neck challenge - the lack of a truly robust setup, just a rough idea of what can and cannot happen.

Try a hypothetical situation, which is one way that we often attack pattern games. We aren't trying to come up with every solution, but just to get a sense of how it all works. Another strategy is to look at the first question to give you some clues, so if I were playing with a hypo in this game I would base it on the first question, possibly helping me answer it at the same time that I get my brain wrapped around the patterns. Here we go!:

Year one: NOP

Year two: I need the other two, S and T, to participate, per the first rule, and one of the first three will have to repeat. At this point, you will have noticed that you have already answered the first question, because only answer E has both S and T in it! So I will go with OST as my Year 2 pattern

Year 3: O is out, because it can't go three years in a row (rule 2), and N and P are back in because they have to be there in any two year cycle (rule 1 again). So Year 3 is NP and let's say S

Year 4: S can't go three in a row, so it's out, and O and T are back in. How about we try P sticking around this time, so Year 4 is OTP.

Now pay attention to the last rule here! No clan can go more than three times in a cycle, and P and O just both had their third turn in the harvest ceremony. They have to be out for Year 5, and that means my Year 5 will have to be TSN. Let's recap:

1. NOP
2. OST
3. NPS
4. OTP
5. TSN

In any two year period, all five of our variables were used. Rule 1 is satisfied.

Nobody went three years in a row. Rule 2 is satisfied.

Everyone went three times, so the cycle ends and we can start another one. Rule 3 and 4, which aren't really rules so much as restrictions, are telling us we have finished the cycle and can start anew. That answers question 20!

Nobody went more than 3 times total. Rule 5 is satisfied.

Let's compare this to Jon's numeric description of the patterns. N is my 1-3-5 variable, meaning it appeared in years 1, 3 and 5. P is my 1-3-4. O is the 1-2-4 variable, appearing in those years. S is the 2-3-5, and T is the 2-4-5.

Now, you could swap these variables around many different ways. Make T the 1-3-5, and O the 1-3-4, and so on. As long as you follow that numeric pattern, assigning one letter to each pattern, you will have a viable solution. How many solutions are there? I don't even want to take the time to do the math, but it's a lot. Okay, I do want to do the math, and it's 120 possible solutions. You do NOT want to go after all of those! Instead, you want to uncover the patterns, get a sense of how the game is supposed to work, and then dive on into the questions. You may find that the questions are mostly about understanding the patterns and are not about the solutions at all!

That was a lot, and I do not mean to suggest that pattern games cannot have a clear setup, just that they are frequently not about the setup as they are about just uncovering and understanding the patterns. Hypotheticals take time, but they tend to be worth it on these games if they lead to a greater understanding. Give that a try and see how it shakes out! Good luck!
 Patrice M. Walker
|
Hey,
So for this question the pattern that has me a little stuck is the 1-3-5. The rule says each candidate must be selected once on any two consecutive days. In the 1-3-5 pattern there are no consecutive days but then when this pattern is used everything comes together in the rules. HOW?
Am I reading the rule wrong and how do I make sure I do not make that mistake again?

I believe coming up with the patterns are essential to completing pattern games on time however, this is truly a...challenge for me.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.