LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.

The game features five people scheduled as contestants on a television show, one contestant per day. Because the days of the week have an inherent order, they should be chosen as the base for the game:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd1.png

The first rule provides us with an N Not Law under Monday:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd2.png

The second and third rules are both conditional in nature, and specify what occurs when a particular person is scheduled for a specific day:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd3.png

Note that these two rules both involve N and both involve Monday, which in this case means the rules work together to some extent. For example, if H is scheduled for Monday, then I cannot be scheduled for Monday (none of the other contestants could be scheduled for Monday either, of course). If I cannot be scheduled for Monday, then via the contrapositive N cannot be scheduled for Tuesday. Thus, if H is scheduled for Monday, then N is not scheduled for Tuesday (which in part should be obvious because the second rule states that if H is scheduled for Monday then N is scheduled for Friday, but its still good to explicitly recognize what occurs).

The fourth rule creates a VK block:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd4.png

This block creates Not Laws for K under Monday, and for V under Friday:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd5.png

The two Not Laws under Monday allow for the deduction that only H, I, or V can be scheduled for Monday. This can be shown on the diagram with a triple-option, and this inference plays an important role in the game.

Combining all of the information leads to the following final setup:

PT13-Dec 1994 LGE-G2_srd6.png

This final setup is not overly complicated, and so as you move to the questions you should feel good about the prospects for finishing this game quickly, especially since there are only five questions.
 Jenny29757
|
So I’ve been working out of the game training book and checking the explanations on here and this game was missing.

I set up the game M-F horizontal.
Not laws (N under Monday)
I diagramed the conditionals
H(m) -> N(f)
N(tu) -> I(M)
Plus counterpositives
VK block

Basic Linear: balanced
7. Global, could be true, except
8. Local, could be true
9. Local, could be true
10. Local, must be true
11. Local, must be true

I got 8 and 11 wrong. I misread 11 (I on Friday instead of Wednesday)

Did I miss any inferences in the set up?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Looks good, Jenny! You could also have added a not-law for K under Monday and for V under Friday, but my guess is that with that block in your diagram you wouldn't have had a problem even without those inferences in your setup. Other than that, I didn't make any additional inferences, and this looks like a game where you would expect to do a lot of mini-diagrams for local questions.

I see why you had trouble with q11, but what happened with q8? Did you try out a few places for an HI block and see if they worked? That was my "brute force" approach to that one.
 bella243
|
Could you please post a complete setup for this game?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm not so great at drawing out the diagrams in this Forum, bella234, but I will do my best!

First, the base is five slots, labeled M Tu W Th F

The rules are as follows:

Under Monday, a not-law for N

HM :arrow: NF
(contrapositive: NF :arrow: HM)

NT :arrow: IM
(contrapositive: IM :arrow: NT

VK in a block

Inferences:

Not laws for V under Friday and K under Monday

That's about it! You could draw out the two conditional rules as hypothetical solutions to the game, but neither will tell you much. You could do templates based on where the VK block could go (4 options), but they are hardly worth it. I would suggest that with just that bare minimum diagram you start attacking the questions. You should expect to have to do a few local diagrams along the way. Give that a try!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.