LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=391&p=94117)

The correct answer choice is (E)

The question stem creates an HI block and then requests a list of all of the days that H could be scheduled. The block creates two Not Laws: H cannot be scheduled for Friday, and I cannot be scheduled for Monday. Of course, from the third rule, I is not scheduled for Monday. Thus, either H or V must be scheduled for Monday. H can go on Monday—Monday appears in every answer choice—but V is part of the VK block, and so if H is not on Monday, V must be on Monday and K must be on Tuesday. This effectively prohibits H from ever being scheduled for Tuesday (if H is scheduled for Tuesday, V must be scheduled for Monday, but then there is no room for K). With Tuesday out of contention, answer choices (A) and (D), each of which list Tuesday, can be eliminated.

The question is now whether H can be scheduled for Wednesday, Thursday, or both. The following hypothetical proves that H can be scheduled for Wednesday:

G2-Q8-d1.png

The following hypothetical proves that H can be scheduled for Thursday:

G2-Q8-d2.png

Consequently, H can be scheduled for Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and answer choice (E) is correct.
 Basia W
|
Good afternoon,

I just wanted to make sure that I had illustrated this rule correctly:

"Kate is scheduled for the next day after the day for which Victor is scheduled"

V_K

With this in mind, I was not sure how question 8 could have E as the correct answer since this block can only go in M-W, Tu-Thur, and Wed-Fri

Thank you for your explanation,

best,

Basia
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Basia,

The wording on that rule is definitely tricky! The correct diagramming is actually a VK block; if V is scheduled on Monday, the next day after that would be Tuesday, so K would be on Tuesday. a lot of people get thrown off by that one.
 kingsnqueens
|
Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding #8. Why can't H be placed on Tuesday? Why is E the right answer?
 kingsnqueens
|
kingsnqueens wrote:Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding #8. Why can't H be placed on Tuesday? Why is E the right answer?
Sorry I figured it out. I somehow missed the first rule!
 bella243
|
Could someone please post a complete solution to this question?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Assuming that one had not done templates for this game (and although I am a template junkie, I would not have done them), the best approach here is to test the options for the placement of an HI block.

Don't bother testing Monday, because all the answers include it. Testing it is a waste of time and effort.

If H is Tuesday, Then I is Wednesday and the VK block can only fit on Thursday-Friday, forcing N to go on Monday in violation of the first rule. So H cannot go Tuesday. Cross out answers A and D.

If H is Wednesday, I is Thursday. The VK block only fits on Monday-Tuesday and N goes Friday. No problems, so Wednesday works and must be part of the correct answer. Cross out answer C because it doesn't have Wednesday in what is supposed to be a complete and accurate list of ALL the days on which H could go.

If H is Thursday, I is Friday. The VK block again goes Monday-Tuesday (because neither N nor K can ever be Monday), and N goes Wednesday. This works, so Thursday must be part of the correct answer. Select correct answer E!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.