LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=16406)

The correct answer choice is (D)

If L is in group 2, then from the contrapositive of the third rule H must be in group 2. Due to space restrictions, F and J must be in group 1, leaving K and N to form another dual-option:
D94_Game_#1_#6_diagram 1.png
D94_Game_#1_#6_diagram 1.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 982 times
The problem is still tricky because the dual-options are not completely free to rotate. The fourth rule affects both G and N, and assigning K and M—the remainder in each dual-option—to group 1 forces G and N into group 2 together, a violation of the fourth rule. Hence, answer choice (D) is correct.

Note that answer choice (B) is possible because G and N can be in group 1 together; the fourth rule just prohibits them from being in group 2 together, as discussed in the setup.
 rameday
|
So the explanation in the back of the book still doesnt make sense to me.

I understand why FJ is in G1 and HL in G2 and i see the G/M and K/N dual option that is present in both groups but from there i have no idea how to get to the answer.
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, rameday,

You're almost there! ;) The trick is the contrapositive of the third rule. The third rule states that if H is in group 1, L must be in group 1.

H1 :arrow: L1

So the contrapositive, if L is in group 2, means that H must be in group 2.

L2 :arrow: H2

So we're looking, as you indicated, at a situation like this:

F J G/M K/N
H L M/G N/K

We know that K and M cannot be together, because that would cause it to look like this:

F J K M
H L G N

And if N is in group 2, G must be in group 1, which it isn't, so D is the correct answer choice.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 lilRio
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=16406)

The correct answer choice is (D)

If L is in group 2, then from the contrapositive of the third rule H must be in group 2. Due to space restrictions, F and J must be in group 1, leaving K and N to form another dual-option:
D94_Game_#1_#6_diagram 1.png
The problem is still tricky because the dual-options are not completely free to rotate. The fourth rule affects both G and N, and assigning K and M—the remainder in each dual-option—to group 1 forces G and M into group 2 together, a violation of the fourth rule. Hence, answer choice (D) is correct.

Note that answer choice (B) is possible because G and N can be in group 1 together; the fourth rule just prohibits them from being in group 2 together, as discussed in the setup.
I noticed that the online homework explanations have the same text. However, I think there is a typo in the explanation. Instead of "... —the remainder in each dual-option—to group 1 forces G and M into group 2 together, a violation of the fourth rule." Shouldn't the explanation read "—the remainder in each dual-option—to group 1 forces G and N into group 2 together, a violation of the fourth rule." ?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You are correct about that typo, lilRio, and we will get it fixed here in this Forum! I'll have to leave it to others to correct the text in the online explanation, but will alert them to it. We will delete your comment shortly after the correction is done to avoid confusing anyone later on. Thank you for the assist!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.