LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello,
I am struggling with some questions on the logical reasoning supplemental questions.

For number nine the question stem states : which one of the following is the main point of the passage as a whole?
SO I thought the conclusion was that Clearly, without that sympathy and the political will engenders, the needs of more obscure species will go unmet, I am not sure why the answer choice is not c and is b.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the Forum!

This is a tricky argument, because the word "clearly" is, as you said, a conclusion indicator. However, many arguments contain subsidiary conclusions that perform a dual function: they are supported by one or more premises (which is why we call them "conclusions"), but they also support other claims in the argument (which is why they aren't the main conclusion). Such is the case with the statement in question. The argument can be diagrammed as follows:
Premise: Bald eagles have the unique capacity to inspire people and foster sympathy. (Sympathy :arrow: Bald Eagle, because the bald eagle is uniquely capable of fostering such sympathy; in other words, the eagle is a necessary condition for fostering sympathy)

Sub. Conclusion: Without sympathy, the needs of other species will go unmet
(Preserve other species :arrow: Sympathy, because "without" is a necessary condition indicator)

But.. so what? The first two sentences support the third:

Conclusion: The conservation needs of other species can only be met by conserving the eagle.
(Preserve other species :arrow: Bald Eagle)
As you can see, this is a deductive argument using conditional reasoning; the last sentence is a deduction we can make by connecting the conditional chain formed by the first two sentences. The second sentence is a subsidiary conclusion: on one hand, it is supported by the first sentence; on the other hand, it supports the additive inference made in the third. Therefore, the second sentence is not the main conclusion of the argument.

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Thanks! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.