LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

svirani
|
Hi,

I am trying to work through question number 5, which is one of the practice questions for chain relationships in lesson 2. It starts with "Only people who..." which is confusing me because "only" is a necessary indicator and "people who" is a sufficient.

I am not even sure how to diagram it. Could someone please walk me through this question?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Svirani,

That's a good question. It might help to rephrase a bit (which gets easier with practice).

The first sentence says, who should undergo mediation? only those willing to compromise:

UM :arrow: WC

...and when should litigation be pursued? only when one is sure that one's position is correct.

L :arrow: PC

And the last sentence: if one's conflicts are based on ideology, that person is not willing to comprmise.

I :arrow: WC

When you link the statement above to the contrapositive of the first sentence, you get:

I :arrow: WC :arrow: UM

The chain relationship above confirms answer choice (E) as the correct answer choice: if one's conflicts are based on ideology, one should not undergo mediation.

I hope that's helpful! let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.