LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ADB12
|
Passage #1: June 1991 Ques 9-16

Can you please explain to me why the correct answer for que. 14 is (A) and the correct answer for que 15. is (B). The answer talks about "chemical composition" - are we expected to assume that it is the same thing as the "chemical nature of" as stated in the passage. I suppose I get confused about when the wording should be exactly the same (Must Be True) as the text or when synonyms are allowed.

Passage #2: June 1991 Ques 17-21

Can you please explain to me why (A) is correct for que. 17. Are we supposed to infer this because lines 49-50 state that "rules of legality" are less important for the inquisitorial system?

Thanks!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for your questions.

Passage 1

Question 14 (A). The "enzyme theory of life" is mentioned in lines 31-32 as something "newly formulated" that interested biochemists in the late nineteenth century. Molecular biology, on the other hand, did not emerge until the 1950 (lines 44-48). Consequently, the enzyme theory of life must have been formulated before the emergence of molecular biology.

Question 15 (B). Yes, the "chemical composition" is synonymous with the "chemical nature of" the protoplasm (lines 29-32). You are correct in that most of these are Must Be True questions whose answers need to be proven by referring to the passage. What you need to prove, however, is that the answer choice is identical in meaning to the corresponding section of the passage. Synonyms are always allowed, as long as the meaning stays the same.

Passage 2

Question 17 (A). This is directly proven by lines 49-50, stating that the legal rule is not as important for the inquisitorial system, in contrast to the adversarial system. Consequently, a crucial factor in a trial under the adversarial system is rules of legality.

Hope this helps!
 kfactor901@gmail.com
|
On the second passage of June 1991 regarding the criminal procedure systems, I am confused as to how 17 is A. I chose C because it states that both parties are responsible for their own pretrial investigations and I do not see something in the passage that hints to rules of legality.

Thank you in advance!

-K
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
K,

In lines 46-50, the passage contrasts the fact that the inquisitorial system operates on the philosophical premise that it is necessary to uncover all of the facts, while the adversarial system operates under the premise that the legal rule is the most important aspect, and thus answer choice (A) rules of legality, is the correct answer.

Hope this clear it up.

~Shannon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.