LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

rowdy
|
Conditional reasoning is tricky for me. When it is clean, I love it! Often, though, I find that I try to apply it inappropriately.

in Question 34 of Supplemental Logical Reasoning 1, I correctly selected D as the answer. I did so because it was the only one that addressed the questionable conditional relationship between a well paid police force and a good legal system.

Where D says fails to establish that ... "a well-paid police force is sufficient to guarantee a good legal system," is it the same as saying that it (the stimulus) fails to establish that a well-paid police force is necessary to guarantee a good legal system?
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rowdy,

Thanks for your question.

No, the claim that a well-paid police force is sufficient to guarantee a good legal system is fundamentally different than the claim that a well-paid police force is necessary to guarantee a good legal system.

The first statement looks like this:

well-paid police force :arrow: good legal system.

The second looks like this:

good legal system :arrow: well-paid police force

It seems like you are in the full-length course - I would recommend reviewing lesson 2 to brush up on the conceptual differences between necessary and sufficient conditions in conditional reasoning if you're having a hard time with stuff like this.

Keep working hard!
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
PS - great discussion of this question here:

lsat/viewtopic.php?t=990

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.