LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced, Identify the Templates game.

In the modern era, this ranks as one of the easiest LSAT games. In the scenario, the game threatens
to be challenging because seven objects subdivided into three groups could be difficult to track,
but the last sentence of the game scenario—which establishes that each sub-group was washed
together—makes the game considerably easier. Effectively, that sentence creates three blocks, and
that limits the number of possibilities in the game.

The first and fourth rule are cleanup rules that limit the number of possible solutions to the game.

The second rule creates two mutually exclusive sequences, which further limit the game:
Capture1.PNG
The third rule is really two rules in one, and can be diagrammed as:
Capture2.PNG
MP is a block above because there are only two pieces of china, and if M is washed before P, they
form an MP block. K and S are not a block because there are three utensils.

The sequences are so powerful that you should immediately realize that the best approach to this
game is to Identify the Templates. There are two templates, which appear as follows when the third
rule is added in:
Capture3.PNG
The two scenarios above provide sufficient information to easily answer most of the questions.
 atirvine88
|
Hello,

I had trouble diagramming this. I was not sure whether to use subscripts or not. Is there a rule of thumb about when to use subscripts for a second variable set or when to use a third layer?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi AT,

It really depends. The rule I follow is that, once I read the game scenario and rules, is that if I feel the game is too complex to track without subscripts, then I'll go ahead and use them.

In this game, I didn't use subscripts. I simply pulled the inferences out from the groups, and then went on from there without worrying to much about the bird types.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 ToluOj
|
I split this game into two templates after discovering that the glassware could go either 3-4 or 4-5. Right?

Temp 1: WJ 3-4
M P W/J J/W (F, K :longline: S)

Temp 2: WJ 4-5
(F, K :longline: S) W/J J/W M P

Splitting it this way really helped me zip through the question since so many of them were global. Is there any other strategy you would suggest?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ToluOj!

That's exactly how I'd set up the templates. Good job!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.