LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Unbalanced: Underfunded, Numerical Distribution game.

This game features four people driving a total of six days. The first rule specifies that each person drives at least once, and this creates two unfixed numerical distributions for the 6 days to the 4 drivers: 2-2-1-1 and 3-1-1-1. In the 2-2-1-1, two people drive twice, and two people drive once. In the 3-1-1-1, one person drives three times and three people drive once. The distribution directly answers question #17 and helps to answer question #19.

The second rule indicates that no person drives on two consecutive days. Instead of representing each of the four not-blocks (one of each driver), we will represent this rule as a DD not-block, where “D” stands for “driver”:
J95_Game_#3_setup_diagram 1.png
The third rule is represented by an F Not Law under Monday.

The fourth rule is a conditional and can be represented as:
J95_Game_#3_setup_diagram 2.png
The fifth rule is also conditional, and can be represented as:
J95_Game_#3_setup_diagram 3.png
This rule can be added to the fourth rule, to create a chain:
J95_Game_#3_setup_diagram 4.png
H is the only random in the game, which leads to the final setup:
J95_Game_#3_setup_diagram 5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 MePlusII
|
I am working through Logic Games in Lesson 9 Homework section of the books from the Full Length Course (page 9-68). This game is about drivers in a carpool. The fourth rule seems a bit unclear. I am hoping someone can help me out!

The rule states: "Jerry drives on Wednesday or Saturday, or boh, and he may also drive on other days."

The last part that states "he may also drive on other days" threw me off. Please explain?? Does this mean he will drive on days other than Wedesday and Saturday? :-?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MePlus,

It's not that clear, right? That's because they are trying to get across a range of possibilities, and they ended up stating it a bit awkwardly. Let's look at what they were getting at.

The key portion is "Jerry drives on Wednesday or Saturday, or both." This means that Jerry always drives on at least Wednesday or Saturday. That part I think makes sense to you based on what you said. But, the test makers worried that if they just stated it that way, that the typical reader would believe that Jerry could drive only on those two days, and they didn't want everyone to think that Jerry was limited like that. So, they added the "and he may also drive on other days" portion, which indicates that although he always drives on Wednesday or Saturday, once that constraint is satisfied, he can drive on other days too. So, for example, without considering the other rules, if Jerry drove on Wednesday, he would satisfy the rule, and then he could drive on any other day, such as Friday.

Also, don't forget that you can check the game explanations online as well. They may or may not cover that rule in great detail, but you will be able to see how the rule is diagrammed and used in the game.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 MePlusII
|
Thank you very much! That is of GREAT help! :)
 jgray
|
In regard to J, what was the requirement he had to meet before driving on a day other than W/S? I read the rule as though he had to drive on W & S before driving on another day. What did I miss, and how often do rules like these present?
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jg,

Pay close attention to the difference between the word "or" and "and."

"Jerry drives on Wednesday or Saturday, or both, and he may also drive on other days."

This means that before he can drive on another day, he must also be on either W or S or both. SO if you have W and S full, that means Jerry can't drive at all.

You might not see this exact rule on test day, but the components are common. Know the difference between these rules:
Jerry drives on either Wednesday or Saturday.
Jerry drives on Wednesday or Saturday or both.
Jerry drives on Wednesday and Saturday and no other days.
Jerry drives on Wednesday and Saturday and he may also drive on other days.
Jerry drives on Wednesday or Saturday, or both, and he may also drive on other days. (the rule used in this game)
Jerry drives on Wednesday but not Saturday.

Try to diagram all of these and see what you come up with. If you have questions, let us know.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.