LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1753)

The correct answer choice is (E)

The information in the “if” statement can be diagrammed as follows:

pt15_j95_g2_q12.png
From the fifth rule, M is in exactly one detection area. Thus, when M is in T, M cannot be in R, S, or U. From the fourth rule, L cannot be in any area that M is in, and so L cannot be in area T. Additionally, because any plane in area U is also in area T, because L cannot be in area T then it also cannot be in area U (and hence the L Not Law on area U). This is essentially a result of the contrapositive of the U :arrow: T area relationship.

L is now limited to areas R and S, and because the game scenario specifies that R does not intersect S, no plane can simultaneously be in both areas R and S. Thus, L can be in only one detection area (R or S), and answer choice (E) cannot be true and is correct.

Remember, this is a Cannot Be True question, and thus the four incorrect answer choices could occur. For example, answer choice (D) could be true because K could be in both areas R and T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 ltowns1
|
Could someone help me with something. I did this game using the circle for the zones. If M can be in the the part of T that’s not touching R,U, or S, (because it represents 1 area which I understand) then why can’t L be put in either R and T or S and T? M is not touching R and T or S and T, it’s only touching T. Am I just overthinking this? (Which I tend to do lol)
 ltowns1
|
Oh and one more thing to add on this comment. Since it is the case that L can’t got into R and T or S and T because it would overlap with T violating rule # 4, then why can M in general go into R or S without violating rule # 5? They overlap T as well. Does it have to do with the fact that parts of R and S are not touching at all? I know that’s a lot, thanks in advance for any advice .
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ltowns,

To your first post, that would violate the 4th rule. M is in T, so L cannot be in T. In your hypothetical, you imagined L as in R and T or S and T. But then L is in area T in both your examples. That violates the 4th rule.

To your second post, R and T overlap, but it's certainly possible for something to be within R but not T, or T but not R. Otherwise, R and T would just be the same zone, completely destroying the distinction between overlap and complete coincidence.

Robert Carroll
 ltowns1
|
Thanks so much for your explanation. I also forgot this game was in the LG Bible, I'm gonna take a look at that for more clarity with this game as well. Thanks.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.