LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Unbalanced: Underfunded game.

The first rule establishes that houses of the same style cannot be adjacent:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd1.png

The HH designation indicates that two Houses of the same style cannot stand next to each other. This representation is faster and easier than drawing out not-blocks for each style.

The second rule establishes a vertical block that removes the possibility that split-level houses face each other:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd2.png

The third rule is conditional, and stipulates that every time a ranch house appears, there is a Tudor next to it:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd3.png

The fourth and fifth rules assign house styles to houses 3 and 6:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd4.png

Of course, with these two houses determined, a slew of Not Laws immediately follows from the first two rules. From the first rule, houses 1 and 5 cannot be R, and houses 4 and 8 cannot be S:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd5.png

From the second rule, house 5 cannot be S, which means that house 5 must be T. Consequently, house 7 cannot be T:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd6.png

Applying the third rule, house 3 now satisfies the rule because house 5 is T. But, we can also infer that house 8 cannot be R, because if house 8 was R, there would be no way for a T to be adjacent, a violation of the third rule. Thus, because house 8 cannot be S or R, it must be T:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd7.png

Of course, there are only three house styles, so each time one is removed, a dual-option results (for example, house 1 cannot be R, so it must be S or T). Adding all of the dual-options leads us to the final diagram for the game:

PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd8.png

Note that from the action of the third rule, if house 4 is R, then house 2 must be T, which is represented above as:
PT16-Sep 1995 LGE-G3_srd9.png
This is the easiest game of the test; the first two rules produce numerous Not Laws, and each results in a dual-option or style assignment. This greatly limits the possibilities of the game. One approach would be to draw out each possibility, but the setup above is so powerful that it appears that showing each solution would not be worth the extra time.
 NghiemB
|
I have a quick question regarding the first rule of this game.
What does it mean that "adjacent houses are of different styles"

So far my set up is roughly

7 8
5 6
3 4
1 2

suppose that 3 is R then does it mean that 4 must be T according to the third condition? or is it that if 3 is R then 1, and 4 can both be T . In other words, does adjacency applies to houses that are across to each other, to houses that are on the same side and next to one another or both? Please let me know.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Adjacent houses in this game refer to houses that are next to each other on the same side. So, house 3 is adjacent to houses 1 and 5. Adjacency does not apply to houses that are opposite. So, house 3 is opposite (or "faces") house 4, but the first rule doesn't apply to that pair.

Does that help? Please let me know.
 NghiemB
|
Thank you, it makes much more sense.
 ofa.aretha
|
In logic game 3 does the word 'adjacent' mean just next to each other or... how do the houses relate to each other?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Aretha,

In game 3, the "adjacent" means "next to each other." Thus, houses on the same side of the street that are next to each other cannot be of same style. So, for example, 1 and 3 cannot be the same style, 3 and 5 cannot be the same style, 5 and 7 cannot be the same style, 2 and 4 cannot be the same style, etc. This is an extremely restrictive, and thus helpful, rule.

Thanks!
 DlarehAtsok
|
Not that it matters much, but how would you classify this game, pattern or linear.
Also Correct me if I am mistaken about this Lsat, first - defined-fixed grouping balanced, second- pattern-linear, balanced, third- pattern-linear underfunded, fourth pattern balanced?

It has an unusually high number of pattern games, does it not?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Dlareh,

Yes, you're getting into the nebulous world of games with a twist, rules based games, spatial games, pattern games, etc. Your classifications appear accurate to me, and you are correct that this (very old) LSAT has a lot of unusual games. The kinds of difficult-to-classify games can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they give you a headache during the setup, when you're trying to feel confident that you're attacking them the most efficient way. On the other hand, they can actually be some of the more straightforward games to solve, once you grasp the rules and the predictable sequences that follow. Keep up the good work!
 Kgorham
|
Hi,

Could someone please show me the full diagram and rules for this question? I think I may have been missing a rule or not law or something. I had:

7 R/S _T_8
5 _T_ _S_6
3 _R_ ___4
1 S/T ___2

Thank you!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi K Gorham,

It looks like you got all the inferences with your setup, which gives you enough information to correctly answer all of the questions. Was there a specific question that threw you off, or perhaps you had difficulty keeping one of the rules in mind? Some of the rules here are hard to visually represent.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.