LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.
J96_Game_#1_setup_diagram 1.png
This game is perfectly Balanced, with 6 variables each filling one of 6 slots. The great benefit of doing Balanced games is that as you use a variable, that variable is eliminated from the list and can no longer be used; when you fill a space, that space is unavailable to all other variables. In contrast, Unbalanced games have variables that can sometimes be used again (as in the sixth game in this set), and sometimes a space can contain two or more variables. This tends to make things much more confusing as all of the variables could be used again even if already placed once, and spaces that contain a single variable might still be able to accommodate another.

An analysis of the variables reveals that H is a random, and this is indicated by the “*” notation. The first thing that jumps out regarding the rules is the linkage that can be made between the second and third rule. This allows us to make a JQR super rule that yields six Not Laws (if you are unsure why a particular Not Law is given, attempt to place the variable in that space and observe the consequences. This should help you better understand why certain Not Laws appear). Furthermore, since Q appears in both the super rule and the last rule, we can make the following inference:
  • If G is inspected on day 3, then Q is inspected on day 5 and R is inspected on day 6. Since R is inspected on day 6, F must be inspected on day 1. This inference leads to the further inference that only two possible scenarios exist when G is inspected on day 3: F-H-G-J-Q-R or F-J-G-H-Q-R.
The other issue to consider is the interaction between F and the Not Laws. If F is inspected first, then the Not Laws shift over one space, and neither R nor Q cannot be inspected second, and R cannot be inspected third. The same logic in reverse can be applied to F in 6.

Rule Diagramming Note: The rule that states, “If G is inspected on day 3, Q is inspected on day 5” is conditional in nature and is represented with an arrow. The second diagram, with the slashes, is the contrapositive of the first diagram, and indicates that if Q is not inspected on day 5, then G is not inspected on day 3. Remember, the contrapositive of a statement is simply another way of expressing the original statement. The famous analogy we use is one that involves a penny: the two sides of a penny look different, but each side refers to the same intrinsic value. The same is true for a statement and its contrapositive.

Also remember, as with all conditional rules, to avoid making a Mistaken Reversal: when Q is inspected on day 5, G can be, but does not have to be, inspected on day 3.

With the above analysis, you should be ready to attack the questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 jling
|
Please help me understand one of the constraints in this game: (Factory Inspection)
It says "J is inspected on an earlier day than Q is inspected." and that "Q is immediately before R is inspected"
I understand QR block, but what does on an earlier day mean for J and Q?
Is it JQ (as J immediately before Q)

or

J _ Q (one day in between J and Q)

or something else?

I find the rest of the game quite easy and self-explanatory, but this one rule confusing in its meaning.

Thank you!!
Joy
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Joy,

Thanks for your question. You're right to be careful - it's vital that we correctly interpret rules like this.

This rule simply means that J is inspected at some point before Q, but we do not know exactly how long before Q it will be. It could be immediately before (JQ), it could be with one day in between (J _ Q) or it could be any other length of time before Q. The only thing it tells us for certain is that J comes before Q, at some point.

I hope that helps! Keep working hard.
 S_Hernandez52
|
Hello powerscore instructor I was hoping that you can help me fill in some holes or gaps that I am having in doing logic games. For example on the Game #1 June 1996 Question I missed 5,6,7 I did not know how to attack the question and hoping to get a more in depth analysis in getting these type of questions correctly. Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi S,

I posted the answers for #5, #6, and #7 within this overall game discussion area (lsat/viewforum.php?f=360), so just click on that and you'll see each one posted separately.

Thanks!
 S_Hernandez52
|
Thank you very Much!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.